Texas Bike Tour - Weekend Getaway
A Cyclist's Playground in the Heart of Texas
Texas Hill Country. Cooled by gentle breezes, it’s a region of lush woodsy hills and meandering rivers unique to the Lone Star State. Where legendary dance halls delight you with boot-tappin’ country music. And charming towns like Fredericksburg welcome you with bratwurst and biergartens and even Texas-grown gewürztraminers. We hope to see y’all here real soon.
THIS ITINERARY: 3 days, 2 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike the Willow City Loop amid quintessential wild west ranchland where explosions of wildflowers blanket hillsides in spring
- Explore antique shops in Fredericksburg and taste award-winning wine—you just might think you’ve been transported to a town on the Rhine
- Feast on authentic melt-in-your-mouth Texas BBQ and relax at our boutique hotel dripping in southern charm and comfort
- Pedal along peaceful roads past live oak and prickly pear cactus and into Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park
3 Days Premiere Hotels
Day 1 Slow down, savor the simple beauty of remote, wide-open spaces and enjoy your first taste of undulating Hill Country roads on a ride from Comfort to historic Fredericksburg, settled in 1846 by German immigrants | Cruise along roadways beneath a canopy of oak trees | Savor what Texas is known for—barbecue!—over lunch | Pop in to historic Sister Creek Vineyards | Bike toward the quintessential Texas town of Luckenbach—don’t blink or you’ll miss the pint-sized town, immortalized in song by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings | Find terrific views and perhaps spot some locals picking on guitars | Relax in our hotel’s Great Hall, a restored tobacco barn.
Day 2 Find heaven on the Willow City Loop, miles of breathtaking country road amid some of the most unique scenery in central Texas | Ride past cattle and red granite outcroppings, and mesquite, pecan and live oak trees | In spring be wowed by the wildflower display of Indian Paintbrush, bluebonnets and more | Take time to wander around Fredericksburg and its boutiques, antique stores, galleries, museums and wine-tasting rooms | Or how about sipping a Shiner Bock at a traditional German biergarten?
Day 3 Cap off your Hill Country adventure with a final ride on ranch roads to Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park, biking past historic buildings including Johnson’s ranch, known as the Texas Whitehouse | Enjoy a farewell picnic on the park grounds before shuttling to Austin and bid farewell.
The vibrant shops and restaurants of Main Street are just steps from this beautiful bed and breakfast with historic cabins and private courtyards. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Texas Hill Country attracts a great deal of tourists, especially during springtime when the wildflowers are in full bloom. Portions of some of the biking routes on our trip are along roads with narrow shoulders or none at all. Although drivers are used to cyclists and are normally courteous, please remember to use extra caution when sharing the road with any motor vehicles.
Cattle guards and cattle are common on Hill Country roads, so be alert. The safest way to cross cattle guards is by walking your bike. If you decide to bike across, make sure you maintain a critical rate of speed (at least 5 mph) and approach at a right angle.