DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Italy's Gran Paradiso to Matterhorn Walking & Hiking Tour
Glacier, Peaks & Alpine Elegance—The Italian Alps’ Aosta Valley
Gran Paradiso, Cervino and Monte Rosa. A trio of majestic mountains in the Italian Alps surrounded by some of the world’s best hiking terrain. Lost-in-time huts and villages. An enchanting culture, exquisite fare and world-class hospitality. Epic hikes from otherwise hard-to-reach trailheads in the backyards of luxurious alpine hotels, as though Northern Italy’s wilderness was made just for you.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Journey into an Italy less traveled and hike amid the country’s grandest peaks and glaciers
- Access footpaths to remote alpine lakes and forests, just steps away from our hotel’s front door
- Immerse yourself in a unique mountain culture and discover ancient traditions that hold strong
- Reach the summit of active travel from hiking trails to historic retreats in the Italian Alps
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Trek through Gran Paradiso, an aptly named national park and Italy’s oldest nature reserve | Trails through an emerald forest lead to cascading waterfalls in the Aosta Valley | Spot the regal alpine ibex, a species saved from near extinction that now thrives in the region’s high altitude terrain | Visit fairy-tale mountain hamlets, encountering traditional architecture and local customs | Savor a post-hike libation and incredible locally sourced fare at our exquisite Relais & Châteaux lodge.
Once a royal hunting lodge, this 100-year-old mountain resort has maintained a palatial sensibility, with decadent décor, unparalleled views and garden-fresh Michelin-starred cuisine. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Arrive at the base of the incomparable Matterhorn | Known here as Monte Cervino, this legendary peak rises up along the Italian-Swiss border | Hike above the alpine town of Breuil-Cervinia to craggy slopes below Cervino for beautiful views of the Valtournenche | Lunch and breathtaking vistas are yours at a classic rifugio (traditional mountain hut) | Admire wildflowers, waterfalls and unusual boulder formations as you descend to Saint-Vincent | Soak in thermal waters at our regal hotel, a historic estate.
A Leading Hotels of the World property in the heart of the Italian Alps where belle époque splendor blends effortlessly with elegant simplicity. (pool, spa)
An all-terrain Jeep brings us to our trailhead at Piani di Verra | Hike rugged mountain trails with stunning views of glaciers and the Monte Rosa massif | Get insight into the region’s fascinating history and unique culture with our local guide | From the comfort of your cozy chalet room—once part of an ancient Walser village—watch as alpenglow lights up the rockface in delicious sorbet hues | Baroque palaces, chic piazzas and grand boulevards await in Turin, Piedmont’s elegant capital and our mesmerizing gateway city.
Natural wood design, stone features and lush surroundings are just part of the allure of this chalet-style alpine oasis, whose traditional charms are elevated only by its breathtaking setting. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 3-5
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes access roads, mountain hiking paths and rocky exposed single-track trails.
While we offer daily hiking options on this trip, you should be aware that most hikes include steep ascents and descents as well as hiking at elevation, which is typically between 6,000 and 8,000 feet—and one day at 12,000 feet. While you're free to take your time navigating the sometimes rocky and uneven terrain, you should feel comfortable carrying your daypack (with plenty of water) while tackling the daily ascents and descents.
Daily Route Options
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Our hikes through this captivating rugged terrain climb rocky and sometimes uneven paths, most of which are remote and do not intersect with roads accessible by Backroads vans. In some cases our shuttles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the hard-to-reach nature of these trails, we usually won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.