MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Cinque Terre & Tuscany Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Teens & Kids
Timeless Tuscan Rides & Italy's Legendary Coastal Trails
Begin your adventure in splendid Tuscany, hiking and biking amid vineyards and breathing in history. Make your way to the Cinque Terre, a coastal wonderland on the Ligurian Sea. It's the perfect place for young explorers and those young at heart. Even Christopher Columbus spent his childhood years here! By the time you arrive at the coast, you'll discover that the journey has really just begun.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start Arezzo / End Genoa
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike and bike your way through two distinct and beloved regions of Italy in one amazing (and delicious!) trip
- Enjoy Italian hospitality in postcard-perfect Tuscan villages, where local delicacies abound
- Journey along the Cinque Terre's spectacular coastline, populated with brightly colored cliffside villages
- Create your own painted creations and learn the secret to pizza-making in a cooking class (Just for kids)
6 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Bike through quintessential Tuscan villages, forests and vineyards | Shop for local treasures in ancient ridgetop Radda, the one-time capital of the Chianti League | Grown-ups learn about world-renowned Chianti Classico wines | Young artists color in their own scenes in a kids’ painting class and express their culinary talents making their own pizzas | Relax on the terrace or splash around in the pool at our captivating hotel.
Travel back in time at this country hotel, housed in an antique mill dating from the 15th century. (pool)
Journey from the green hills of Tuscany to the intense blue hues of the Ligurian Coast | Hike through the dramatic seafront landscape to Portovenere | The younger set samples delicious gelato and joins our Kids Adventure Leader for some fun in the sun | Savor family dinners featuring fresh seafood | Walk the Cinque Terre’s coastal trails past terraced vineyards and olive groves.
This modest seaside hotel offers charm and hospitality as warm and sunny as its colorful exterior.
Well-groomed hiking paths lined by centuries-old stone walls lead from stunning Riomaggiore through a series of charming villages | A heated saltwater pool awaits at our elegant hotel | Discover Santa Margherita Ligure, the childhood home of Christopher Columbus | Hike to posh Portofino, where sorbet-hued buildings, elegant villas and lush tropical foliage abound | Adults walk along Portofino's waterfront or take a scenic boat across Tigullio Bay while kids splash around on stand-up paddleboards or in kayaks | End the trip in the vibrant port city of Genoa.
Resting along the shore of the Ligurian Sea and set amid a lush garden, this picturesque art nouveau hotel exudes Old World elegance. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The hiking terrain on this trip includes a mix of rolling dirt and paved trails with sections of stone steps, forest paths and gravel country roads. Significant elevation gains and losses can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest, especially along the coastal paths in Cinque Terre. The bike routes on this trip take us through Tuscany's rolling terrain with some challenging longer climbs to hilltop towns.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Cinque Terre is a popular tourist destination with busy peak seasons, especially during the summer months and on national holidays. Like any sought-after national park destination and World Heritage site, crowds are common. To access the best hiking areas in the Cinque Terre, we will sometimes be riding on state-operated regional trains alongside locals and other tourists. Like all public transportation, the trains can be subject to delay and may be crowded during peak seasons. Because the national park is still recovering from trail damage from previous years, weather-related trail closures may occur. In the event of a trail closure, your Backroads Trip Leaders will have alternate hikes and activities available.
Our routes through this captivating terrain are a combination of loop hikes and out-and-back trails that begin and end in the same location. In some cases our shuttles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the nature of these trails, we usually won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.
Hotel Belvedere is a modest property with a picturesque location in stunning Portovenere. While this property is simpler than the typical Backroads standard, we've chosen it because of its proximity to our favorite routes and the fantastic Mediterranean views.