Puglia's Salento to Matera Easygoing E-bike Tour
Dolce Tempo Journey among Coastlines, Hill Towns & World Heritage Sites
Couples, Friends & Solos
6 days 5 nights
From: $5,799 - $6,249 pp dbl occ
($1,600 for sgl occ)
Whitewashed towns. Majestic sea views. Prehistoric cave dwellings. Tour the little-known roads of Puglia on an e-bike to experience Italy’s pristine landscapes. The aroma of olives and orecchiette pasta call you to slow down and relish this moment, and as you relax in your elegant getaways, it will feel like time stands still.
Start Lecce / End Bari
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
Refreshingly Active Adventures
Drink in dramatic views of the Adriatic Sea as you ride along the coast, taking the opportunity to break for coffee and gelato.
Discover history from the locals on tours of two World Heritage sites, the troglodyte settlement of Matera and picture-perfect Alberobello.
Unique Hotels & Delectable Dining
Taste the region’s delicious wines and classic Pugliese dishes, learn how mozzarella is made and stay in luxurious hotels.
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Wind through quiet country lanes around lakes and beaches on your e-bike and enjoy a delicious lunch at a masseria (fortified farmhouse) | Luxuriate by the pool or head into Otranto for some shopping and gelato | After a satisfying lunch with a coastal view, drink in panoramic views of the Adriatic Sea and perhaps even dip your toes in the water | Experience an epic ride on your e-bike along the eastern coast of Salento | Enjoy some of the region’s finest wines and cuisine at a local winery.
An oasis of elegance in the heart of Salento, this aristocratic 16th-century palace features a spa, Lecce stone vaults and ancient chianche (stone) floors. (pool, spa)
After a peaceful cycling route through acres of sunlit olive groves, take a break to enjoy local specialties at the “White City” of Ostuni | Discover the age-old techniques of making mozzarella | Ride an ancient Roman road on your e-bike, taking a break to admire the historical site of Egnazia | Ascend the Murgia plateau for stunning views of the Alberobello countryside | Immerse yourself in the local history of Alberobello and its 1,500 trulli (round, stone buildings) on a walking tour | At your own pace, explore the winding medieval streets of Monopoli.
Ride up the limestone plateau of Murgia inland toward the picturesque countryside of Basilicata | Eat like the locals at an agriturismo (Italian farmhouse) | Find artisan treasures down quaint market streets | Discover prehistoric caves in the World Heritage city of Matera.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Dolce Tempo: What to Expect
Our e-bike tours make adventuring by bike a breeze—perfect for beginners, occasional bikers, or anyone who is interested in exploring the world by bike. With dedicated Trip Leaders, support vans and GPS-supported routes, your day unfolds according to your agenda, not someone else's. Easygoing daily routes are typically 2-4 hours of biking per day, approximately 10-30 miles. Our custom electric-assist bikes* allow you to pedal effortlessly.
Though this is a hilly area the e-bike makes it easy to handle the climbs. The low traffic and generally good pavement make this area a perfect destination for beginners and expert cyclists alike.
Available Bike Options
On this Dolce Tempo trip, most travelers choose to ride one of our custom titanium e-bikes. If you prefer to enjoy the daily rides without electric assistance, you can select another bike. See all options below. (click the arrow to see all available options)
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage