Israel Bike Tour
Ancient Israel: Sea of Galilee to Old Jerusalem
Israel will captivate you at every turn. Delve into this place shaped by prophets, kings and crusaders. Discover a rich tapestry of cultures. And explore a diverse landscape, from the azure Mediterranean to the green hills of the Golan Heights, via the unique perspective that only a bicycle can offer.
THIS ITINERARY: 8 days, 7 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start/End Tel Aviv
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Spin through the beautiful Judean Hills, an area rich in marvelous archaeological treasures of the ancient world
- Sample diverse cuisine—from modern Israeli to traditional Lebanese and Druze—whose roots date back millennia
- Taste contemporary wines in a region where grapes have been cultivated and fermented since biblical times
- Experience an authentic, intimate and historically enlightening connection to this epic land and its vibrant people
8 Days Premiere Hotels*
Spin along the famous Tel Aviv Promenade and north across the coastal plain | Visit Caesarea's Roman ruins, built by Herod the Great | Dine on innovative, modern Israeli cuisine beside the Mediterranean | Pedal through kibbutz orchards and Druze Arab villages | In the Carmel mountains, bike to hilltop Zikhron Ya'akov, known for superb wine.
This arts-focused hotel features splendid views of forests and the Mediterranean Sea. (pool, spa)
Ride on quiet rural roads lined with vineyards and orchards in the heart of the upper Galilee | Chat with members of the Arab-Israeli community | Witness the crumbling remains of Bar'am, one of Israel's oldest synagogues | Bike past vineyards near the Lebanese border and taste local wines | Wander the cobblestone lanes of entrancing Safed, the highest city in Israel and one of Judaism's four holy cities | Explore the secret passageways of medieval Nimrod Fortress | Savor traditional Arab sweets in the Druze village of Mas'ade | Take in views of Syria and a memorial from the Yom Kippur War | Gear up for a unique experience at an authentic kibbutz.
Enjoy the simple guest cabins on this kibbutz, ideally located in the northern part of the Golan Heights on the slopes of Mount Bental. (pool)
A thrilling downhill route leads to the Sea of Galilee | Behold epic biblical landscapes from our relaxing lakeside hotel.
Set at the water's edge, these beautiful spa villas are surrounded by archaeological ruins and peaceful nature reserves. (pool, spa)
Get to know the old city of Jerusalem on a private walking tour | Enjoy a spin along the Jordan River | In Jerusalem, see the Western Wall as the sun sets, marking the beginning of Shabbat | Pedal into the Judean Hills accompanied by a multitude of local bicyclists | You're welcomed into a local home for a special Shabbat dinner | Picturesque Ein Karem village is a delight to explore on foot.
With a striking blend of Greco-Roman, Gothic and Ottoman architecture, this luxurious property is nestled in the heart of Jerusalem. Travel + Leisure World's Best Award.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: Israel's landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys; the continuously rolling terrain and exposed nature of the region, as well as its desert climate, can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest. Most days, we offer rides in the morning and spend the warmer afternoons engaged in cultural activities off the bike.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 7 dinners, 6 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Our Premiere Hotels on this trip are luxurious and offer top-notch amenities. We've also included a two-night stay at Kibbutz Merom Golan, which is simple Casual Hotel. Though humble, Merom Golan offers a great location, warm hospitality, strong cultural character and phenomenal views. We hope you'll appreciate its unique charm as much as we do.
While our trip emphasizes the richness of culture throughout the country's varied landscape and social terrain, be prepared for bustling intersections, occasional truck traffic, new development and litter. Israel is a diverse and rapidly changing society working to intertwine its long history and modern expansion.