New Zealand Multi-Adventure Tour
South Island from Christchurch to Queenstown
Scenery doesn't get any more incredible than in New Zealand. On a bike and on foot, you're in the middle of it all. Ever-changing natural beauty through your sunglasses. Ocean mist in your face. Island-fresh air in your lungs to complement that bit of sweat on your brow. The sheep have it made here. This week, they aren't the only ones.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
Start Christchurch / End Queenstown
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Marvel at verdant rain forests, wild rivers, crashing waves and rugged coastline on the beautiful Tasman Sea
- Travel across the South Island, getting a good look at the Canterbury Plains and the magnificent Waimakariri River Gorge
- Bike and hike through dramatic varied scenery and mountain ranges, finishing in a Pinot grape-growing wine region
- Discover the many charms and secrets of Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand
Gear up for awe-inspiring activities in one of the world's greatest outdoor playgrounds | Travel to Arthur's Pass, soaking up views of the diverse landscapes | Lush native flora lines our trail in this iconic hiking area | Settle in at our charming wilderness lodge.
A welcoming mountain retreat and high-country sheep station surrounded by a beech forest and frosted peaks.
Take in glaciers, rain forests and the dramatic Tasman Sea | Bike along tranquil roads to historic Hokitika, famous for its crafts and jade carvings | Venture through old-growth forests to Westland National Park, with the receding face of the Franz Josef Glacier, one of New Zealand's natural wonders, off in the distance | Cycle to the quaint coastal village of Okarito, once a gold-mining boom town | Opt for a scenic helicopter ride over the glacial terrain | Dine on fresh local cuisine at our luxurious forest retreat.
A luxurious hotel that provides for every comfort—even offering a pillow menu. (spa)
Walk around small but mighty Lake Matheson, where the region's legendary peaks reflected on serene waters create a stunning tableau | Sip a post-hike cocktail by the river at our stylish rain forest hideaway | Kick back at Munro Beach or go exploring with a lodge naturalist.
This riverside lodge offers cozy guest rooms and excellent cuisine in a remote rain forest setting.
Bike along a pristine rugged coastline to the sleepy fishing village of Jackson Bay | Discover the waterfall-laced Haast World Heritage area, home to some of New Zealand's highest mountains, longest glaciers and wildest rivers unmatched anywhere in the world, according to UNESCO | World-class bike routes and foot trails in the mountain playground surrounding Lake Wanaka are yours to explore | Opt for an excursion to scenic Milford Sound.
On the shore of Lake Wanaka with views of the magnificent Southern Alps. (spa)
Admire the spectacularly varied scenery on a ride in Pinot Noir country | Follow the Clutha and Kawarau Rivers past vineyards in a burgeoning wine region | Stay in picturesque Queenstown, New Zealand's adventure capital | Raft down the Kawarau River with expert guides who provide a unique perspective on the flora and fauna along the way.
This boutique hotel is located in the center of Queenstown with magnificent views of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables mountain range.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
In order to access the most scenic routes and significant points of interest on this trip, strategic shuttles are incorporated into several days of our itinerary. Most will be limited to an hour or so at a time, but on some days you can expect to spend a bit more time in the shuttle. We've planned our itinerary to make the most of our time in this spectacular area, so sit back and relax, knowing that someone else is doing the driving, and enjoy the beauty of the journey.
Due to a significant rise in tourism in New Zealand, the South Island has seen an increase in car traffic along its western coast. As a result, we do not ride on the iconic State Highway 6 (SH6). While our shuttles are often on this coastal road, we ride on scenic bike routes off the main highway to ensure your safety while still delivering as much of New Zealand's grandeur and stunning scenery.