India Multi-Adventure Tour
Rajasthan's Caravan Routes & Desert Palaces
This will be one epic journey. The colors, sounds, smells, history, culture... A bit overwhelming? Perhaps. But who wants to travel across an ocean to be underwhelmed? Amid the raw energy, peace can be found. In ornate palaces and quiet desert. And in our luxury hotels—some of the world’s finest. Join us. It’s time to experience India.
THIS ITINERARY: 9 days, 8 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start Jodhpur / End Udaipur
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Cycle and hike through the energetic Indian countryside past small villages, ancient temples and stately palaces
- Explore the Thar Desert as nomads have for centuries—on camelback—and spend a night in safari-style tents beneath the stars
- Interact with our Indian friends as you're warmly welcomed into a vibrant and culturally rich land
- Revel in exquisite accommodations, from former Raja estates to a hotel recently named the world's best
9 Days Premiere Hotels*
Travel through local history, from Maharaja kingdoms to British rule and India’s dynamic present | Explore Jodhpur’s staggering 15th-century Mehrangarh Fort | Gaze out over the Blue City, where indigo-washed houses provide a stunning contrast with the warm desert surroundings | Enjoy a culturally rich bike ride to Bishnoi, stopping at a shimmering lake to admire the region’s animal life, from owls to camels | Settle in and feel at home with a true Indian feast.
One of the world's largest private residences, this royal palace has been transformed into an exquisite hilltop hotel, with 26 acres of gardens and mesmerizing views.
Relive a classic Indian form of travel—a camel caravan across desert sand—and spend a night in safari-style tents (with all the amenities, of course) | Pedal past rolling dunes and colorful farmland brimming with crops.
Enjoy stunning sunrises and dazzling night skies in this remote desert tented camp with simple but comfortable amenities.
Bike and walk past colorful temples | Hike to the village of Manvar and visit the homes of local farmers | Journey to the ancient trade town of Pali, followed by a walk up Elephant Mountain | Get a taste of daily life in India's isolated hill region on a guided walking tour of Narlai | At an ancient stepwell illuminated by hundreds of floating candles, take in a traditional music performance.
This 17th-century fortress midway between the cities of Jodhpur and Udaipur once served as a luxurious hunting lodge. (pool, spa)
From Ranakpur, a breathtaking 14th-century Jain temple with 1,444 intricately carved pillars, cycle to the opulent Devi Garh, our home for two nights | Venture into the countryside on foot and get a close look at daily life in rural townships.
Guarding the road to the Udaipur Valley, this palace-turned-luxury hotel welcomes us with fabulous amenities and comfort. (pool, spa)
Cycle past palaces and temples en route to the lakes of Udaipur | Relish some R&R at one of the world’s most luxurious and romantic hotels | Cruise past the Lake Palace and get a new perspective on the city skyline.
This exquisite hotel located on Lake Pichola has perfected the art of hospitality. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (Approximately 20% dirt and 80% paved).
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches, 8 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Rajasthan's history of prosperous kingdoms has produced a wealth of opulent palaces-turned-five-star hotels scattered throughout the desert and Aravalli Hills. On this trip we stay in several wonderful properties, chosen either for their grandeur or location, many of which rank among the world’s finest accommodations. On one night we stay at Manvar Desert Camp, a remote rustic retreat that provides a taste of old Rajasthan. And while the historic Rawla Narlai brims with character and romantic charm, the accommodations are a bit more casual than our other hotels.
Your journey through India will be unlike any other travel experience. The people and places you visit will likely stay with you for a very long time. But as wonderfully fulfilling as travel is in India, it's not always easy.
Within congested cities and near busy social centers, even something as simple as crossing the road can be daunting—you may be sharing it at any one time with cars, pedestrians, rickshaws, bikes, scooters and even cows!
To better traverse the less than ideal and ever-changing cycling conditions, we use mountain bikes with touring tires on this trip.
India is a developing country and different attitudes, litter and scenes of poverty can sometimes be jarring. Yet the beauty of the people, the culture and the landscape shines through, making for an amazingly exotic adventure that’s unforgettable and completely worthwhile.