DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Champagne & Alsace Bike Tour
Sparkling Champagne & the Alsace Wine Route
This bike tour bubbles over with legendary names like Dom Pérignon, Veuve Clicquot and Gewürztraminer. Cycle vine-laced hills to the town where Napoleon enjoyed lavish soirées. Ride alongside French canals as they quietly flow by you. Taste Champagne in Champagne and savor Michelin-starred cuisine in Alsace. In this captivating corner of France, there's so much to celebrate.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Reims / End Strasbourg
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Attend a private dinner and champagne pairing at world-famous Moët & Chandon, the oldest Maison de Champagne
- Ride dedicated bike paths along sleepy canals and through enchanting towns on the Route des Vins, France's historic wine route
- Travel through some of the prettiest villages in France, with half-timbered houses and gardens filled with vibrant geraniums
- Indulge in one of the most memorable dining experiences ever—two Michelin stars at the incomparable Auberge de l'Ill
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Famed vineyards, such as Moët & Chandon and Veuve Clicquot, provide an idyllic backdrop as you ride dedicated bike paths in the Coteaux de Champagne and through a World Heritage landscape just outside of Paris | Visit Abbaye d’Hautvillers, where monk Dom Pierre Pérignon is buried | On the Avenue de Champagne, marvel at the splendid properties of prestigious négociants (wine merchants) | An exclusive cellar tour and dinner await at Moët & Chandon’s illustrious property.
Set in the heart of Champagne vineyards, this newly renovated country retreat features elegant modern design and top-notch service. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
From the enchanting town of Marlenheim, follow the bike-friendly Route des Vins (Wine Route), beloved for its lovely canals and picturesque villages | Ride easygoing terrain through the heart of Alsace, skirting the graceful Vosges foothills | With its profusion of Alsatian-style half-timbered houses and window boxes of geraniums, Obernai is a heavenly place to explore on foot | Relax at a historic manor turned boutique hotel.
Surrounded by lush vineyards and dense forests, this charming 17th-century family-owned château is the epitome of Alsatian style and hospitality. (pool, spa)
Stroll through Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, a 12th-century fortress that overlooks the Rhine River Valley | Tree-lined bike paths lead you into the peaceful Vosges forest | Wander in wonderfully preserved Riquewihr and Eguisheim, both among the designated Most Beautiful Villages of France, with stunning Gothic churches and medieval fortifications | Sit down to an incredible meal at Auberge de l’Ill, an exceptional family-run restaurant that has been awarded at least two Michelin stars for 50 years and counting | Enjoy one last morning ride in the valley, with views of the Vosges Massif on one side and Germany on the other.
This stylishly renovated 18th-century farmhouse—featuring a restaurant with two Michelin stars—is beautifully situated on the Ill River. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage