Loire Valley Bike Tour
Grand Châteaux & Regal Rivers
Bike along the peaceful Loire River. Cycle through a lush forest. Emerge as if you're in a fairy tale. Standing proudly before you is a château of Renaissance majesty, its gardens sculpted to perfection. You're in an architect's wonderland. Artists and writers escape to the Loire—even da Vinci spent his last years here. If you dream of living like royalty, there's no place more ideal.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike quiet scenic routes along the Loire’s rivers and through its fertile valley, green woodlands and charming villages
- Unwind at gracious castle-hotels in a World Heritage region beloved for its elegance and natural beauty
- Savor exquisite local cuisine and critically acclaimed wines, including the full-bodied reds of Saumur and Bourgueil
- Explore the Loire’s formidable châteaux, whose grand interiors and storybook exteriors take you to another time
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Ride through a World Heritage landscape on portions of La Loire à Vélo, a 500-mile-long network of bike routes | Spin from fields of wheat and sunflowers into the Forêt de Villandry | Experience joie de vivre as you bike amid serene woodland and celebrated Cabernet Franc vineyards | Discover Candes-St-Martin and Montsoreau, members of the Plus Beaux (Most Beautiful) Villages of France | Pass fascinating troglodyte caves that have housed people (and wine!) for centuries | Admire incomparable Château d’Ussé as you pedal past it | Dine on classic French specialties with views of the valley bathed in evening light.
Formerly the private residence of a prince and duchess, this grand 18th-century estate sits adjacent to a 50-acre forest with a beautiful lake. (pool)
On two wheels, explore the Vouvray vineyards of the Loire's south bank and the rich landscape of French nobility on the north | Walk in the footsteps of famous kings and Leonardo da Vinci as you stroll through Amboise | A fresh treat from a local patisserie is perhaps the perfect accompaniment to a post-ride rest along the river | Soak up the glamour on a private tour of Château de Chenonceau, which spans the River Cher and brims with rare tapestries and extraordinary paintings.
Built as a grand hunting lodge in the 19th century, this magnificent ivy-covered château enjoys a secluded setting amid tranquil parkland. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Bike to the decadent 16th-century Château de Chambord, the largest castle in the Loire Valley and the week's grand finale | Opt for a rejuvenating treatment at our hotel's lavish spa | Sip an aperitif at dusk before dinner at our lovely hotel in Cheverny | Before saying au revoir to the Loire Valley, head out on one last spin around the castle-dotted landscape, enjoying the quiet morning as the countryside slowly comes to life.
Located near Cheverny, this 15th-century manor still has its original tower and moat. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 5 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On many nights, the gourmet restaurants where we dine offer specially prepared limited or fixed menus featuring a delicious selection of authentic regional cuisine.