What if I get sick or injured?

You may have coverage under the Arch RoamRight Travel Protection Plan’s Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption benefit if you get sick or injured before departing on your Backroads trip, or while on your Backroads trip. The covered sickness or injury would have to require medical treatment at the time of cancellation or interruption and a physician must deem you unfit to travel at that same time. The physican will need to complete the Attending Physician’s Statement (APS) Form documenting the circumstances.

Note: the medical coverage in this plan is an excess policy to your primary health insurance coverage. You will be required to submit medical expenses incurred during your trip to your primary medical provider prior to submitting your claim details to Arch RoamRight.

For specific questions related to coverage, please contact Arch RoamRight customer service at 844-731-7065.

For details on how to file a claim, see here.