Norway Walking & Hiking Tour
Fjords, Mountains & Glaciers North of Bergen
Fjords—extraordinary geologic wonders. And Norway is home to an enviable collection. Be humbled as your ferry cruises across magnificent Sognefjord, Norway's deepest fjord, an ideal gateway to vigorous shoreline hikes through serene valleys, quiet villages and dense pine forests. Welcome to a gloriously unique perspective.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Start Voss / End Bergen
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Boat among some of Norway's numerous breathtaking glacier-carved fjords, with cliffs plunging to the sea
- Trek past idyllic farms, waterfalls and colorful wildflowers, learning about the native wildlife from a local guide
- Explore the Viking-age village of Balestrand, where welcoming artists now ply their creative trade
- Enjoy a guided excursion on Nigardsbreen Glacier and experience a close encounter with sparkling glacial-blue ice
6 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Walk across fertile valleys dotted with wildflowers, farms and waterfalls | Visit privately owned Stalheim Folk Museum, where exhibits depict Norwegian life from the Middle Ages to World War II | Savor delicious homemade specialties at a mountain farm.
With stunning views of Norway's highest waterfall and the Nærøyfjord Valley, this historic hotel has its own folk museum.
Boat among Norway's pristine fjords | Join a local guide to explore the rural landscape and learn more about its flora and fauna | Behold Urnes Stave Church, a World Heritage site built in the 12th century | Ferry through spectacular Nærøyfjord, Europe's narrowest fjord | A guided excursion on sapphire-blue Nigardsbreen Glacier awaits.
This small family-built inn, dating back more than 300 years, offers charming guest rooms and a lovely setting along the Sognefjord.
From the charming waterfront community of Fjærland, a steep walk leads to a fantastic vista of Jostedalsbreen Glacier | The world-famous Norwegian Glacier Museum is a must-see | Enjoy a farm-fresh lunch in a restored cottage | Take a challenging and unforgettable hike to the foot of Flatbreen Glacier or a ramble through peaceful Mundal Valley—the choice is yours! | Get to know historic Balestrand, an inviting artists' village with two burial mounds from the Viking age | Sweeping views of the Sognefjord's sparkling waters and surrounding snowcapped peaks await in Balestølen | If you're feeling brave, indulge in a post-hike dip in the invigorating glacier-fed waters | Enjoy dinner at a unique eatery set in the middle of an orchard.
Admire panoramic views of one of the world's longest fjords from the rambling verandas of this Swiss-style inn, operating since 1752.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes a mix of level meadow paths, and rugged forest and mountain trails. The substantial elevation gain and loss (as well as some rocky and uneven paths) can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
We ordinarily staff our trips with three leaders: two leaders out on the trail offering support—allowing everyone to have the experience they want, whether it's an easygoing interpretative walk or a rigorous hike—while the third leader moves the van from trailhead to trail end. This trip is a little different in that our routes are a combination of loop hikes and out-and-back trails that begin and end in the same location. This means that you'll still have the same two leaders providing excellent trail support without the need for a third leader to move the van.