MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Netherlands & Belgium Walking & Hiking Tour
Windmills, Tulips, Canals & Villages
Coastal footpaths and trails through flower fields dotted with the Netherland's iconic windmills. Rich history and magnificent architecture delight in The Hague and Utrecht. Belgium beckons with hiking routes through rolling forests, lush pastures and purple seas of heather. And in charming villages with cobblestone streets, you'll find spectacular regional cuisine. From the legendary North Sea to the exquisite Amblève Valley, expect the unexpected.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Netherlands & Belgium
Start Amsterdam, The Netherlands / End Brussels, Belgium
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Saunter down classic seaside promenades and soak up the laid-back Dutch beach culture found just outside The Hague
- Experience the vibrant floral designs at Holland's Keukenhof Gardens, where millions of tulips bloom in April and early May
- Walk through beautifully shifting landscapes—green forests, bucolic hills, picturesque meadows and enchanting villages
- Celebrate a good day's hike with a pint of Belgian ale and discover the country's rich farm-to-table culinary traditions
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Kick off your journey among a sea of flowers over lunch at a farm in the countryside | Hike amid the North Sea's expansive sandy beaches and rolling windswept dunes | Springtime visitors experience the tulips of famed Keukenhof Gardens in full bloom | Discover The Hague's Gothic architecture, interesting history and lively culinary and cultural scene.
Built in 1858 to host aristocrats and heads of state, this opulent former palace is located among the cafés, restaurants and shops of the historic city center. (pool, spa)
Walk through a uniquely Dutch landscape of polders, dikes and farming canals to the iconic windmills of Kinderdijk, a World Heritage site | Taste organic gouda—a Dutch classic—made fresh at a local farm | Hills in Holland? | You bet! | Hike through rolling forests, meadows and heathland to the beautiful village and castle of Amerongen, nestled along the Rhine | Get to know the tree-lined canals and promenades of Utrecht, a vibrant university town and one of the Netherland's oldest cities.
This centrally located and elegant property along the Utrecht canal was originally built in the 14th-century as a monastery and has housed nobles throughout the centuries. (spa)
Cross the border and immerse yourself in picturesque Belgian villages, cow-dotted pastures and fruit orchards | Explore the pristine broadleaf forests and lush trails of the Ardennes, a hiker's paradise | Taste centuries-old recipes for Belgian beer, chocolate and Herve cheese in this culinary hot spot | Savor a picnic lunch among the heathers in the Amblève Valley | Visit the town of Spa, whose mineral-rich thermal waters attracted 18th-century royalty and inspired the now ubiquitous term | Find your own spa bliss at our state-of-the-art retreat, a building inspired by the grandeur of Versailles.
A former manor—inspired by the palace of Versailles—has been reimagined as a luxury hotel featuring exceptional hospitality, a world-class wellness center and a fairy-tale garden. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage