German & Austrian Alps Walking & Hiking Tour
Mountains, Lakes & Castles: Salzburg to Munich
Bring a journal and it will soon read like a storybook. Impossibly deep lakes beneath the snowcapped peaks of the Alps. Blankets of wildflowers flowing into the horizon. Majestic fairy-tale palaces. Mountaintop hideaways from world wars. If any pages are left empty, it will only be because sometimes words are simply not enough.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Austria & Germany
Start Salzburg / End Munich
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Follow some of Europe's most celebrated footpaths past limestone massifs, alpine meadows and sparkling lakes
- Experience unforgettable hiking through the majestic Alps of both Austria and Germany
- Discover the breathtaking landscapes and architecture of the magnificent gateway cities of Munich and Salzburg
- Explore charming storybook villages, remote mountain huts and whimsical fairy-tale castles
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Begin in beautiful Salzburg, birthplace of Mozart | See the hills that inspired Maria's song in The Sound of Music | Walk along the rocky ridgeline that borders Germany and Austria | Cowbells softly clang in nearby pastures as you sample local artisanal cheeses at a mountain farmhouse | Discover the history of this remote mountain region at the Obersalzberg Documentation Centre | Toast the journey ahead while tasting exquisite wines from both sides of the border.
Nestled in the Bavarian Alps, an ultramodern property with panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. (pool, spa)
Boat across glacier-carved Königssee, Germany's deepest and cleanest lake, and cool off in the spray of the country's highest waterfall | Admire the expansive vistas from high mountain passes | Gondolas whisk you from the valley floor to the upper reaches of the Tyrolean Alps to reveal world-class hiking trails | Explore medieval Kitzbühel, stopping for a Kaffee in the town's charming pedestrian-friendly center | Alpine elegance meets Relais & Châteaux hospitality at our family-owned mountain retreat.
This family-owned hotel offers a perfect balance of modern luxury and Tyrolean tradition, and sweeping mountain vistas. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Follow a millennium of pilgrim footsteps through the Isar Valley to our castle home, Schloss Elmau | Venture on foot through Partnach Gorge on a path that leads to a pristine landscape of green meadows, forested slopes and craggy outcroppings | Savor the flavors of celebrated German fare | Feel part of a fairy tale while exploring Neuschwanstein Castle in Füssen | End your trip in welcoming Munich with its green parks and festive biergartens.
Relaxation comes easy at this elegant hotel in the Bavarian Alps, boasting its own library, bookstore, concert hall and hammam. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip is rolling with a few steeper sections in the Alps and includes a mix of well-maintained dirt paths, paved roads and rugged terrain.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The accommodations on this trip are Premiere Hotels. While they offer outstanding service and amenities, please note that they are not equipped with air-conditioning. Despite the region's generally temperate climate and cool nights, guestrooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.