MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Argentina's Patagonia Walking & Hiking Tour
Epic Lakes, Peaks & Glaciers
The beauty of Argentina's vast Patagonia stretches out before you. Some of the world's finest trails invite you to explore this varied and wild terrain—from ice-laden landscapes to remote and magical estancias. Experience the power of calving glaciers and the calm of vaulting mountains reflected in blue lagoons. Each day new Patagonian marvels await to impress.
THIS ITINERARY: 7 days, 6 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
Start/End El Calafate
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike amid Cerro Fitz Roy's famous granite peaks and Patagonia's most extraordinary glaciers, including Perito Moreno and its 200-foot-high blue-hued walls
- Connect with nature in our cozy lodging, Patagonia Eco domes in El Chaltén, with access to the stunning Cagliero Glacier in Los Huemules Reserve
- Voyage by boat through a frozen maze of ice and water on Lake Argentino to Estancia Cristina, and discover intriguing geological history on the epic Fossil Canyon hike
- Enjoy celebrated Argentine drinks and cuisine—asados (barbecue), distinguished wines and maté—surrounded by the awe-inspiring Patagonian landscape
7 Days Casual Hotels
Prepare to be awestruck on a walk along boardwalks to see the remarkable Perito Moreno Glacier—and with luck, perhaps witness the impressive sight of calving ice | Discover world-class Argentine vintages—Malbec, Pinot Noir, Torrontés and more | Get ready for an unforgettable full-day excursion to Estancia Cristina, including a boat ride across Lake Argentino among icebergs and the famous Upsala Glacier | Keep an eye out on Cristina Bay for condors soaring above | Follow a rocky route to Fossil Canyon | Weave through lagoons teeming with coots and black-neck swans before journeying back to El Calafate.
A contemporary hotel set on a hillside with panoramic lake, mountain and downtown views. (pool)
Hike along Lago Argentino's lakeside dunes or opt to horseback ride at Estancia Estela | Head to El Chaltén's unique Patagonia Eco Domes, where you have unsurpassed views of Cerro Fitz Roy's peaks from your cozy dome | Embark on an epic full-day hike to Cagliero Glacier | Access some of Patagonia's most impressive hikes straight from our dome doors in El Chaltén National Park, complete with magnificent views of the snowcapped Andes, hanging glaciers, lenga forests and unique fauna.
Set in a stunning location, these luxurious and sustainable eco domes keep you cozy with wood burning stoves and have a transparent wall through which Fitz Roy vistas greet you each morning.
Mirador Cerro Torre reveals mammoth views over the Torre and Fitz Roy peaks | Sip yerba maté, Argentina's national beverage, like a local gaucho | Hike to spectacular vistas of glacier-fed Lake Viedma and to gorgeous Laguna Capri | Witness glaciers spilling dramatically down ice-carved valleys and massive blue icebergs floating atop glacial melt—a memorable sight!
A boutique lodge with a modern alpine aesthetic boasting beautiful mountain vistas. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-5
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rolling oak and lenga tree-lined paths, and mountain trails along streams and fjords with rocks and uneven surfaces. Please also note that Patagonia is famous for its intermittent strong winds and fast-changing weather.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
In order to access some of the best hikes in Los Huemules Reserve, we stay two nights at the unique Patagonia Eco Domes in El Chaltén. Our eco domes have plush beds, private en suite bathrooms, cozy padded walls (that may let in sounds from strong winds or nearby domes) and one transparent wall with views of the famous Torre Fitz Roy. Woodstoves provide heat and solar panels supply power, so lighting can be dim. Each dome is fitted with USB charging outlets while community areas offer standard power outlets. There is no cell or internet service.
In order to experience the full grandeur of Argentina's Patagonia region, we spend more time shuttling and on boat crossings on this trip than on a typical Backroads trip. This enables us to explore the incredible variety of ecosystems and scenery this region has to offer. Rest assured, the views from these shuttles are spectacular.
Our hikes through Patagonia's captivating rugged terrain climb rocky and sometimes uneven paths, many of which are remote and do not intersect with roads. Vehicles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the nature of these trails, we won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.
Most hikes on this itinerary take place in Argentine national parks and unlike other Backroads Walking & Hiking Trips, regulations require a certified local guide to accompany us. We offer flexibility by dividing into several groups of different paces, with each group hiking in the company of a local guide.
Trips with a small number of guests may be supported by one Backroads Trip Leader and a team of knowledgeable local guides. Rest assured that there will always be at least two people hiking on the trail with you.
Because of Patagonia's extreme weather conditions and strong winds, mid-trip itinerary changes and boat crossings are possible on this trip. Rest assured that if severe weather affects our planned activities, your Trip Leaders will find alternate activities that you're sure to enjoy. Expect the unexpected in this remote region, including slow or no internet and the occasional ATM possibly running out of cash. It's all part of the adventure!