MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
San Juan Islands Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Teens & Kids
San Juan, Orcas & Vancouver Islands
Welcome to the San Juan Islands, where the sun shines, water glistens and pace of life slows. Find your rhythm biking along quiet country roads, spend time together with family kayaking in peaceful inlets and make new friends while hiking among old-growth forests. A hidden gem of the Pacific Northwest, this natural playground is perfect for a family adventure.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start: Anacortes / End: Anacortes
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Explore the varied terrains and landscapes of San Juan, Orcas and Lopez Islands by foot, bike and kayak
- Paddle serene waters and peaceful inlets above vast kelp beds, spotting harbor seals, otters and bald eagles
- Wildlife-watch during a cruise with a chance to see magnificent minke whales and orcas
- Hike up Mount Constitution with panoramic views of surrounding islands and the Cascades
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Kids search for creatures in the tide pools of False Bay on San Juan Island | Explore the quaint streets of Friday Harbor, lined with shops and galleries | Walk to the summit of Young Hill for a sweeping view of the San Juan Islands | Bike along the isle’s stunning west side to a bluff with vistas of Haro Strait and enjoy a thrilling descent to South Beach | Sea kayak through peaceful inlets—you might spot harbor seals or otters napping in the kelp canopies | Adults pedal rolling hills through bucolic farmland to Friday Harbor while kids enjoy an afternoon of tie-dyeing and games | In town, visit the Whale Museum and learn about marine mammals, with a special focus on the orcas that frequent the local waters.
Located in the charming waterfront hamlet of Roche Harbor, this popular island destination has hosted guests since 1886, when it was part of a lime works and company town. (pool)
Look for minke whales and majestic orcas during our wildlife-watching cruise with a local naturalist | Explore Moran State Park, a paradise of 5,000 wooded acres, 30 miles of trails, five freshwater lakes and four waterfalls | Ascend Mount Constitution for 360-degree views of the islands, Mount Baker and the Olympic Mountains | Youngsters get a night at the Funhouse, an interactive center designed especially for kids and teens | Ferry to Lopez Island and enjoy its gentler terrain, beautiful rural scenery and fresh Northwest cuisine | Junior biologists are sure to get a kick out of exploring the nooks and crannies of the intertidal zone at Shark Reef | On Orcas Island, hike along the cedar-lined shores of Cascade Lake and stop to take a dip if you like!
It's a short walk to the private beach and the shops and galleries of downtown from this retreat at the water's edge.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The minimum age required for kids to ride their own bike on this trip is 9+
Note: The San Juan Islands' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys. The continuously rolling terrain can make the routes, which include sections of chip-sealed pavement, feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage