Czech Republic & Austria Family Bike Tour - Teens & Kids
Fairy-Tale Český Krumlov to Danube Castles
It's a storybook adventure. Start in captivating Prague. Bike past spires, turrets and onion-shaped domes. Explore the cobblestone lanes of Holašovice and magical Český Krumlov. Kids get a taste of the Renaissance watching falconry at Schloss Rosenburg. Pedal by the Danube. Savor Wachau Valley wine and grape juice. Final scene: fascinating Vienna. Happily ever after.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Czech Republic & Austria
Start Prague / End Vienna
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Discover the hidden charms of Český Krumlov, a 13th-century Bohemian town with storybook castles and bustling squares
- Crisscross the enchanting Danube River amid timeless villages and iconic onion-domed churches
- Journey to two countries and distinct cultures in one trip, with Prague and Vienna as intriguing bookends
- Ride through baroque hamlets and along evergreen woodland, undulating pastures and the Wachau Valley's terraced vineyards
6 Days Casual Hotels
Cruise through Bohemia's rolling pastures, evergreen forests and quiet villages to Český Krumlov, a 13th-century town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs | Tilt your gaze skyward to admire the second largest hrad (castle) in the Czech Republic | Adults dive into Czech history with a local friend and guide, while kids explore Český Krumlov | Coast into the countryside, passing lush meadows and homesteads sporting traditional architecture | History comes to life for the younger set during a scavenger hunt | Folk musicians provide the soundtrack for a traditional meal cooked over an open fire.
Comprised of three historic buildings, this lovely inn is ideally located on the town's main square.
In Austria, pedal through rolling green hills in the famous Mostviertel district, known for its distinctive most (hard apple cider) | Kids visit a nature park with adventure playgrounds and a ropes course | Dinner is served with a rousing performance by Schuhplattler dancers.
A charming family-owned country inn, set amid rolling green hills in the cradle of Austria. (pool, spa)
Crisscross the fabled Danube as you ride along the Donauradweg, the well-loved riverside bike path | Impressive Melk Abbey, a World Heritage site towering on a bluff above the river, comes into view en route to the charming town of Weissenkirchen | Cycle through picture-perfect villages with onion-shaped church steeples | Picnic at a traditional Austrian Heuriger (wine tavern) with gorgeous views over a valley dotted with vineyards | Grown-ups bike the Kamptal region while the youngsters head to a Renaissance castle for a fascinating falconry demonstration | Spin to the archaeological site of Willendorf.
Austrian hospitality and Danube views abound at this comfortable guest house.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: On this Family Trip, our routes follow rolling terrain. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary and mileage is moderate to enable you to spend more time exploring on your own.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The Czech Republic is a welcoming and fascinating country in the process of exciting change. While not a priority during the country's communist years, service is improving, though you may not always experience the level of convenience or service typically found on Backroads trips. Know that your Backroads leaders are there to smooth out the edges and make you as comfortable as possible.
On this trip we spend two nights at the historic Hotel OLDINN, where guest rooms are clean and comfortable, but simpler than the typical Backroads standard. We've chosen this property because of its ideal location in the center of the World Heritage site of Český Krumlov.