Vermont Bike Tour
A Classic Autumn in New England
Rolling hills, warm colors, cool mornings invite you. Round the corner and you're high above in the Green Mountains. Later, you're in quiet farmland. Taste the maple. Savor the brilliant foliage. Take a break in Woodstock and walk the quaint shops in biking shoes. It's okay. They've heard the clip-clop before. Southern Vermont was made for the ride.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike through the classic Vermont landscape of vibrant fall foliage, picturesque rivers, old red barns and meandering waterways
- Taste a variety of local specialties like maple syrup, cheese and craft beer—and for a pick-me-up, order a maple latte
- Explore Stowe, Warren, East Middlebury, Woodstock—quintessential New England villages with top-notch shopping and dining
- Cruise on two wheels past grazing cows and quaint towns, mixing in some challenging climbs and exhilarating descents
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Bike past manicured farms, wooded mountains and pastures dotted with black-and-white Holstein cows | Don’t forget to look up for striking views of Mount Mansfield, Vermont’s highest peak | Explore the idyllic surroundings and historic architecture of Stowe Village.
Built as a private residence in 1833 and now tastefully restored, this historic inn was once a stagecoach stop. (pool)
Cycle through maple forests and rustic farmland from beautiful Stowe to enchanting and historic Warren, stopping along the way in charming Montpelier, the smallest state capital in the United States | Bike through the postcard-perfect landscape of the Mad River Valley beneath the Green Mountains to the Pitcher Inn, a luxurious Relais & Châteaux property | Pedal rolling rural roads to quaint East Middlebury | Challenge yourself on scenic Lincoln Gap Road—the steepest paved mile in America.
Sitting at the edge of a stream, this elegant property features charming porches, a gabled roof and unique guest rooms. A Relais & Châteaux member.
Birch, pine and vibrant maple trees flank your path to Woodstock, a quintessential New England village | Stop at the Billings Farm & Museum for a peek at American history | Ride tranquil roads through farmland and rural towns | Cross the celebrated Appalachian Trail to arrive in the town of Quechee, known for its 90-foot-long covered bridge spanning the Ottauquechee River | Watch local glass artisans ply their trade at the hydroelectrically powered Simon Pearce factory | Bike to South Woodstock, past beautiful horse stables and the famous South Woodstock Country Store.
An "imposing landmark resort hotel facing the village green in a beautifully preserved village noted for its restored 18th-century homes," according to Andrew Harper. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: Vermont's landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys, and the continuously rolling terrain can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage