San Juan Islands Bike Tour
Island to Island in the Pacific Northwest
The Pacific graces every scene. Enchanting harbors dappled with sunlight. Sailboats flitting across the deep blues of the Salish Sea. Each ferry ride across the sound brings the promise of adventure. Quiet country roads and fragrant coastal forests make you wish the ride would never end. Lose yourself in the wonder of it. Join the San Juan Islands Bike Tour.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start La Conner / End Anacortes or La Conner
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Soak up postcard-perfect Northwest scenery as you ferry from island to island with the locals
- Bike tour through majestic fir and cedar forests, explore driftwood beaches and savor the day's fresh catch
- Keep your eyes peeled on our wildlife cruise—the chance to spot whales from the open water is a thrill!
- Admire views of emerald islands, Mount Baker and Canada's coastal peaks from atop Mount Constitution
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Kick off your journey in La Conner, a charming little town on the Swinomish Channel with beautiful boutiques and a relaxed country feel | Bike tour through the fertile Skagit Valley, noted for its tulip and daffodil cultivation, with Mount Baker crowning the route.
A comfortable hotel with private balconies and beautiful vistas of the boats and birdlife residing in Swinomish Channel.
Island-hop by ferry and bike tour through stunningly diverse scenery, from conifer forests to farmland to seaports | Set sail for hilly Orcas Island, a tapestry of rural landscapes | Stop by artisan shops, where one-of-a-kind pieces are displayed among Douglas fir and western red cedar | On foot or two wheels in Moran State Park, make your way up Mount Constitution, the highest point in the San Juans—it's worth the climb! | Once at the top, enjoy the breathtaking panorama of islands, snow-covered Mount Baker, the Cascades and the Olympic Peninsula.
It's a short walk to the private beach and the shops and galleries of downtown from this retreat at the water's edge.
Join a wildlife cruise with a naturalist—you may spot an orca! | Bike past secluded bays and driftwood beaches | Swap pedals for paddles on an optional sea-kayaking excursion near Roche Harbor and watch for otters and soaring eagles | Bicycle along the quiet roads on San Juan Island, the largest island in the archipelago | An easygoing route leads along the waterfront and through a forest—a great finale to the week.
Described by Andrew Harper as an "appealing contemporary island lodge affording exceptional views of the San Juan Channel."
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The San Juan Islands' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys. The continuously rolling terrain can make the routes, which include sections of chip-sealed pavement, feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 dinners, 6 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage