MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Netherlands & Belgium Bike Tour
Windmills & Canals from Amsterdam to Bruges
In the Netherlands, there are more bicycles than people. And in Belgium, passion for le vélo is legendary. Hop on the saddle and you too will be smitten. As you explore the flat-as-a-pannekoek landscape, amid the flower fields and silent canals. And in the bustling cities and storybook villages. Come bike with us in the Netherlands and Belgium and feel the love.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Netherlands & Belgium
Start Amsterdam / End Bruges
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Ride through scenery straight out of a Dutch masterpiece—windmills, canals, pitch-roofed farmhouses and vast skies
- Luxuriate in hotels reminiscent of the 17th-century Golden Age, with their old-world opulence and white-glove traditions
- Feast on Belgium's national treasures—world-class beer, chocolate and waffles—as well as plenty of Dutch cheese along the way
- Explore picturesque Amsterdam and medieval Bruges, two captivating gateway cities in two unique countries
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Begin with a leisurely ride from Edam to Santpoort, located on the edge of a scenic coastal forest | Pause for lunch at a charming and quintessentially Dutch farmhouse | Pedal past emerald-green fields, horse farms and windmills | Rest and relax at our splendid hotel on the edge of Zuid-Kennemerland National Park.
A historic country estate situated within a national park and featuring a Michelin-starred restaurant.
In April and early May, admire the floral designs at Keukenhof, the world's largest flower garden | A landscape of dunes and seaside lanes lead the way to The Hague | Bike through polders and countryside to Gouda, where the beloved cheese originates | Delight in the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk, known for its 19 windmills once used to drain the surrounding floodplain | Indulge in traditional pannenkoeken (pancakes) or a slice of appeltaart topped with Chantilly cream | Biking is a way of life in Holland, and it's a pleasure to join the locals as you cruise through the region, passing dikes and quaint villages.
Built in 1858 to host aristocrats and heads of state, this opulent former palace is located among the cafés, restaurants and shops of the historic city center. (pool, spa)
Cycle over the border to Belgium on a scenic spin to romantic Bruges | Discover the secrets of this medieval city of narrow cobblestone streets, step-gabled brick houses, lofty spires and meandering canals | Thirsty? Try some of the world-renowned local beers | Pedal to the Flemish town of Diksmuide, once the heart of Belgian resistance in World War I | Enjoy a final ride through forests and over canals around Bruges | Visit one of the town's many chocolate shops for some tasty souvenirs.
An elegant hotel—originally a 15th-century noble residence—overlooking Den Dyver, the most picturesque canal in Bruges. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The Dutch and Belgians are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing network of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country. Many of the paths we utilize on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, linking quaint villages and big cities alike. Navigating these intricate bike routes requires more attention to the GPS and directions than you might expect. Be prepared to make more stops than you usually would to ensure you're on the right track, all the while experiencing the occasional rush of riding among many locals as they commute and run errands by bike.