Bordeaux & Dordogne Bike Tour
Grand Wine Estates & Michelin Stars
Travel through time across the French countryside by bike. In Dordogne, swans and boats glide along the meandering river as you ride on shore. Quiet hamlets rest among walnut groves. Next there's Bordeaux, with the World Heritage site of St-Émilion. A grapevine-laden land graced with superb routes, noble châteaux and world-famous vineyards.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Embrace the perfect pairing—the Dordogne's rustic countryside and Bordeaux's renowned viticulture
- Savor Michelin-starred meals highlighting the region's bounty and prepared by celebrated chefs
- Bike along the peaceful Dordogne River and past rows of acclaimed Bordeaux Grand Cru vineyards
- Explore St-Émilion, beloved for its extraordinary monolithic cathedral, remarkable landscape and wines
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Bike alongside the Dordogne River, passing picturesque medieval villages | Discover the lush flora, vineyards and fields of the Périgord's brilliantly colored agricultural regions | In prehistoric caverns, behold Cro-Magnon cave art depicting mammoths and other animals | Indulge in a Michelin-starred dinner created by distinguished chef Vincent Arnould | Find post-ride repose and top-notch hospitality at our Relais & Châteaux retreat.
This enchanting manor house-hotel with idyllic gardens and a Michelin-starred restaurant was a priory in the 1500s. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Follow the winding river past farming communities and Bergerac vineyards brimming with ripening fruit | Bike to the 16th-century Château de Monbazillac | Enjoy splendid valley views while sipping the regional sweet golden-white wine, famous since the 17th century | Tonight another outstanding dining experience awaits.
This grand château, set on the Bordeaux Route des Vins amid vineyards, dates back to 1597 and its restaurant boasts a Michelin star. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa)
Take in views of lavish castles and neat vineyards as they appear majestically on the horizon | An oenologist at Vignobles & Châteaux wine school offers an initiation into the art of tasting—you'll learn how to recognize Bordeaux vintages by color, smell and flavor | Stroll through medieval St-Émilion, a beautiful World Heritage site and epicenter of French wines, before a visit to its underground treasures | Take a private tour of one of St-Émilion's Grand Cru wineries and taste their spectacular red blends | Bike magnificent and diverse landscapes, from ocher-hued stone villages to vineyards hugging the curves of the Dordogne | Enjoy a macaron—the sweet and chewy cookies have been produced here since the 1600s | Make sure to save some room for a two-Michelin-starred dinner paired with delicious wines.
In the heart of a medieval village, an exceptional hotel with a two Michelin star restaurant that exudes refinement and discreet luxury. A Relais & Châteaux member.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage