Columbia River Gorge & Willamette Valley Bike Tour
Oregon's Waterfalls & Wine Country
The geologic drama that created Oregon's Columbia River Gorge is still at play. You'll feel it as you bike down Waterfall Alley, cruise through the Mosier Twin Tunnels and spin around the Rowena Loops. You'll witness it as you cycle through the bountiful Willamette Valley, a mosaic of farms and vineyards where the volcanic rich soil grows some of the world's finest Pinot Noir grapes. You'll taste it in Portland's thriving farm-to-fork food scene and in Hood River's microbreweries. Go ahead—sip, savor and cycle the best of the Pacific Northwest!
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Explore the Columbia River Gorge, a nature-lover's paradise and crown jewel of the Pacific Northwest
- Cycle the Historic Columbia River Highway, a National Historic Landmark and a Bicycling magazine "must ride"
- Admire towering Mount Adams and Mount Hood as you bike past wild and scenic Oregon landscapes
- Bike through the bucolic Willamette Valley, dotted with farms, orchards and some of the world's finest Pinot Noir grapes
6 Days Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Begin your journey in the charismatic city of Portland | Travel by bike through the lush Hood River Valley, one of the most prolific fruit-growing regions in the world | Don’t miss the views as you ride through the famous windowed Twin Tunnels leading to the town of Mosier | If you’re up for it, cruise downhill on the exhilarating Rowena Loops | Retreat to our hotel, situated on the banks of the Columbia River | Visit the small town of Hood River, where strong winds and waves launch thrill-seeking kiteboarders and windsurfers into the air | Bike along the Fruit Loop, a fun route dotted with orchards, wineries and farm stands | Take a break from the saddle to enjoy a locally sourced huckleberry milkshake | Enter The Dalles, a crossroads where pioneers on the Oregon Trail had to decide whether to brave the river rapids or take a perilous route around Mount Hood on their journey to the promised land.
This comfortable riverside resort, part of the Best Western Plus collection, celebrates mid-century design featuring panoramic views of the Columbia River Gorge. (pool)
Start today's ride in Cascade Locks, one of the oldest towns on the Columbia River | Learn about the Native American legend that named the iconic Bridge of the Gods | Bike along the Historic Columbia River Highway, a marvel of engineering and masterpiece of landscape design once called King of the Roads | Make your way on two wheels down Waterfall Alley to experience some of the most spectacular scenery in the region | Take a moment to soak in the view of 620-foot Multnomah Falls, the second highest in the country | Enjoy a distinctly Pacific Northwest experience at Skamania Lodge.
A magnificent mountain resort nestled on 175 wooded acres offering spectacular views of the Columbia River and Cascade Mountains. (pool, spa)
Bike into the heart of the Willamette Valley, a wine-growing mecca often compared to France’s Burgundy region | Swirl and sip some of world’s finest Pinot Noir | Set out on the newly formed Willamette Scenic Bikeway | Learn about the volcanic heritage of this region, which contributes to its unique and complex soils | Explore the quaint town of McMinnville | Stay at a chic eco-friendly hotel in the historic downtown.
A luxury boutique hotel in historic downtown McMinnville, reflective of the creative and independent spirit that defines Oregon Wine Country.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: Our routes follow a combination of bike paths, bike lanes and lightly trafficked highways with a small shoulder at times.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we stay at the Hood River Inn. This property was selected for its stunning location and proximity to our favorite hikes and bike routes, though it is simpler and more casual than typical Backroads accommodations.