Wyoming's Yellowstone & Tetons Walking & Hiking Tour
Geology, Wildlife & Peaks of the National Parks
Deep beneath soaring sawtooth peaks, a geologic story unfolds. The temperature rises, revealing itself in spectacular ways. Geysers launch to unreal heights. Hot springs shimmer in radiant colors. Bison, elk and even gray wolves are as attracted to these places as we are. Yellowstone and the Tetons draw us all in.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Start Jackson, Wyoming, or West Yellowstone, Montana / End Jackson, Wyoming
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Observe the famous bubbling and churning geologic features of Yellowstone—including Old Faithful, of course
- Hike through gorgeous valley landscapes while gazing up to catch sight of the spectacular Teton peaks
- Photograph the wondrous Yellowstone wildlife you're bound to encounter—from elk to eagles and bison to bears
- Float down the Snake River with expert river runners, enjoying the views and abundant wildlife
6 Days Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Discover bubbling mud pots, spouting geysers and steaming fumaroles in Yellowstone | Learn about the fascinating geothermal features of Lower and Upper Geyser Basins | Just about two square miles in area, this spot is home to nearly one-quarter of the world's geysers! | Walk to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, where waterfalls plunge over pastel-colored cliffs.
Built in 1904 with a grand lobby seven stories high, "a spectacular log-and-shingle château that captures the moment the West went from wild to baroque," reports Travel + Leisure.
Stroll along the shore of Yellowstone Lake to windswept Storm Point before heading to Grand Teton National Park | Hike through lush forests and verdant meadows below the spectacular Teton peaks | From Two Ocean Lake, our trail leads through groves of aspen and pine to higher ground, revealing jaw-dropping views of craggy mountains, open meadows and sparkling lakes | In the mood to rest your hiking boots? | How about huckleberry margaritas or just relaxing by the pool.
On the National Register of Historic Places, this classic park hotel, completed in 1891, sits along the lakeshore.
Keep an eye out for moose, mule deer, eagles and otters | Enjoy a boat ride across Jenny Lake before hiking to Inspiration Point for sweeping vistas of Jackson Hole | Savor the solitude of this stunning alpine landscape at the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve | Explore the trails of the preserve on the way to Phelps Lake and perhaps continue along the valley floor to Teton Village.
Situated in the heart of Grand Teton National Park, with 60-foot picture windows for savoring views of the Teton peaks and the roaming moose, elk and bison. (pool)
A scenic float trip on the meandering Snake River is the grand finale to our week | As you cruise down the winding river, scan the shore for wildlife and incredible views.
"Jackson Hole's most design-conscious hotel, and the most eco-conscious too," according to National Geographic Traveler. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool,spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trips includes a mix of paved valley walkways, well-maintained dirt paths and rugged mountain trails.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Jackson Lake Lodge, Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Old Faithful Inn are fairly rustic national park lodges that reflect the natural surroundings of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. While these historic hotels offer simpler accommodations than the typical Backroads property, they provide unparalleled access to the best hiking in the region. Please note that the guest rooms are not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning.
Generally speaking, service in the national parks can seem laid-back when compared with the high standards of service found on other Backroads trips.
The National Park Service limits the size of all groups and Grand Teton National Park doesn't permit guided hiking. Accordingly, in Yellowstone National Park you'll hike in small groups with Backroads leaders. In Grand Teton National Park your leaders will provide pre-walk briefings, maps and directions so you can explore on your own. We appreciate your cooperation with the parks' regulations.