Santa Fe & Taos Walking & Hiking Tour
Rich Heritage, High-Desert Beauty & Taos Pueblo
The lazy bends of the Rio Grande. Pueblos that have stood for a thousand years. Flowers of the high desert. The paintings of Georgia O'Keeffe. The spices of a northern New Mexican meal. And some of the most spectacular sunsets you've ever seen. Each day you spend in the Land of Enchantment will inspire you.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End Santa Fe
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Immerse yourself in a fascinating weave of Spanish, Mexican, Anglo and indigenous traditions
- Hike centuries-old paths to ancient cliff dwellings and descend into a deep wildlife-rich river gorge
- Learn all about Georgia O'Keeffe Country—iconic art history set amid a gorgeous red-rock landscape
- Delight in watching the sun set from your private terrace at Santa Fe's Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike among piñon pines in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains surrounding Santa Fe | Explore historic center of Santa Fe with a local expert, learning about its rich multicultural influences and noteworthy architecture, including the Santa Fe Plaza and San Miguel Mission, reputedly the oldest church in the United States | Get a taste of contemporary Southwest art by touring local galleries | Walk an ancient route to cliff dwellings in Bandelier National Monument | It's easy to imagine an Ancestral Pueblo community thriving amid the sculpted volcanic tuff of Frijoles Canyon.
Celebrate the spirit of the Southwest at this elegant modern retreat adorned with handcrafted furnishings, traditional textiles and paintings just steps from the historic plaza district. Travel + Leisure World's Best.
Visit Ghost Ranch and behold the raw elemental beauty that drew artist Georgia O'Keeffe to make her home here in the 1940s | Hike through this unique landscape, spending time amid slot canyons and conical rock formations created millions of years ago | See Plaza Blanca, a dramatic geologic formation in the Rio Chama hills, made famous by a series of the artist's paintings | Stay in an eco-conscious resort a short stroll from the center of Taos where you can browse shops and galleries featuring the works of talented local artists | The 1,000-year-old Taos Pueblo, a marvel of American Indian architecture, welcomes you.
With a warm inviting style inspired by American Indian and global cultures, this elegant haven is nestled in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, just outside of Taos. (spa)
Hike up to a peak once used by the Taos Pueblo Indians as a lookout point to keep watch for invading Apaches | Visit historic Chimayó, founded in 1680 and home to the revered adobe Santuario de Chimayó, a National Historic Landmark, where modern-day pilgrims flock to be healed | Unwind at our stunning hotel, where you can enjoy a morning stroll on the property or relax at the well-known spa.
Surrounded by the serene high-desert landscape overlooking the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, this elegant resort combines luxurious amenities with distinct Southwestern style. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes historic town walks, canyon trails and may involve ladders to view ancient cliff dwellings. Most activities take place at elevations of 6,000–10,000 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The accommodations on this trip are Premiere Hotels. While El Monte Sagrado offers outstanding service and amenities, please note that this hotel is not equipped with air-conditioning. Despite the region's generally temperate climate and cool nights, guestrooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.