Canadian Rockies Walking & Hiking Tour
Banff & Yoho's Soaring Peaks & Emerald Lakes
Think back to the staggering sight of Plain of Six Glaciers. The thunder of Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park. Remember the meadows alive with wildflowers. The iridescent blue-green hues of Banff National Park's Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. In those brief seconds before you go back to real life, you'll realize your Canadian Rockies hiking tour experience never really ends.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike scenic trails in three Canadian national parks with dramatic vistas, beautiful lakes and lush landscapes
- Walk through evergreen forests and flowering meadows to sensational glaciers, magnificent waterfalls and towering peaks
- Admire mountain reflections on Moraine Lake and Lake Louise, then hike to famous Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse
- Look for mountain goats, pikas and marmots—perhaps come face-to-face with one of them!
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Travel from Banff to Kootenay National Park, crossing a vast wildfire burn area where hardy pink fireweed and yellow columbine herald signs of new growth | Hike into a hanging valley for a view of stunning Stanley Glacier | A forest trail carpeted with buttercups and bunchberry takes you to milky blue Sherbrooke Lake, the largest backcountry glacial lake in Yoho National Park | Hike to Paget Lookout for sublime views of pristine glaciers and soaring peaks.
The "romantic accommodations are in charmingly rustic and comfortable log cabins tucked among trees along the glacier-fed Kicking Horse River," reports Andrew Harper.
Walk through evergreen forests and blooming meadows to sensational views of the Daly Glacier and Yoho Valley | Standing in awe before Canada’s second-highest waterfall, it all makes sense—Takakkaw is Cree for "it is magnificent" | Walk along the shore of aptly named Emerald Lake.
A secluded turn-of-the-century lodge, built of hand-hewn timber and featuring simple cabins nestled in the woods above a spectacular tree-rimmed glacial lake.
Hike to one of Banff National Park’s most stunning alpine pastures, alive with wildflowers and wildlife | Soak up views of the glistening Crowfoot Glacier and beautiful Helen Lake | Come evening, relax at our elegant hotel | Admire the jewel-like colors of Lake Louise and Moraine Lake | Switchbacks lead to breathtaking Larch Valley and views of Wenkchemna Peak | Commune with mountain goats, pikas and Clark’s nutcrackers | Hike the classic route from world-renowned Lake Louise to the historic Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse.
This European-style mountain chalet, set on the Pipestone and Bow Rivers, is the epitome of old-world elegance. A Relais & Châteaux member. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes rugged mountain trails and well-maintained paths, with some rocky sections and steep descents. Most activities on this trip take place at elevations of 4,000–6,800 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
This trip includes the historic Emerald Lake Lodge, where guest rooms are clean and comfortable, but simpler than the typical Backroads standard. We’ve chosen this property because of its proximity to our favorite routes and the fantastic setting. Please note that the guest rooms are not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning. Also, while Cathedral Mountain Lodge and the Post Hotel & Spa are Premiere Hotels and offer outstanding service and amenities, please note they are not equipped with air-conditioning. Despite the region's cooler mountain climate, guestrooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.