Oregon's Crater Lake & Cascades Walking & Hiking Tour
National Park Adventure in the Pacific Northwest
Lush river trails through Oregon’s old-growth forests. High-desert cliffs and jagged spires in Smith Rock State Park. From the Cascade Mountains to cascading falls. The Pacific Crest Trail to the raging Deschutes. Vacation at the historic Crater Lake Lodge, and sip post-hike local brews fresh from the tap. It’s not just the lake that dazzles here.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Delight in Oregon's varied geology as you adventure on foot to the edge of the world-famous Crater Lake
- Explore the vibrant city of Bend, Oregon's lively and picturesque hub of outdoor adventure and craft brewing
- Hike amid the grandeur of Oregon's Central Cascades, including a section of the famed Pacific Crest Trail
- Admire Crater Lake's breathtakingly clear sapphire waters from some of the very best vantage points
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Arrive in Bend, Oregon's adventure capital | Hike along a series of waterfalls with crystal-clear water to the grand finale of Tumalo Falls | Go for a hike at Smith Rock State Park, a high-desert wonderland of sheer cliffs, deep canyons, dramatic volcanic crags and vertical faces | Explore vibrant downtown Bend, packed with art galleries and cafés | Cap off our day of hiking with a relaxing "beer-venture" at a classic Bend microbrewery.
A luxury boutique hotel ideally located amid the shops, galleries, cafés and brewpubs of vibrant downtown Bend.
Rustic elegance and world-class amenities abound at Sunriver, an outdoor-lover's paradise ideally situated at the foot of the Cascades | Walk along the Deschutes River Trail, passing tall aspens and white alder trees while keeping an eye out for birds and wildlife | Hike a section of the Pacific Crest Trail to uncover alpine lakes hidden in the Cascades' dense conifer forest | Pause at Lower Rosary Lake—a perfect mirror for monolithic Pulpit Rock looming overhead.
Situated in the pristine natural setting of the Cascade Range foothills, this top-notch resort is a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts and culinary aficionados. (pool, spa)
Catch your first glimpse of pristine Crater Lake's intense sapphire color and amazing clarity from Mount Scott | Gain a bird's-eye-view of this spectacular landscape from the summit | Venture deep into Oregon's natural landscape as we hike among stands of western hemlock and white-bark pines | Embark on an exhilarating walk along the rim of the crater | Hike down to Cleetwood Cove for an invigorating dip in the lake | Or perhaps unwind at rustic and historic Crater Lake Lodge... the amazing views from the lodge's back deck are hard to resist.
Perched on the crater's rim, this classic national park lodge transports you to a bygone era.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip ranges from moderately rolling hills to steeper grades on the longer options. Routes vary from alpine forested paths to loose rocky trails. Crater Lake is at an elevation of 6,100 feet above sea level, which can make activity feel more challenging; on early-summer trips encountering snow on the trails is possible and can pose additional challenges.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Crater Lake Lodge is a historic national park lodge that offers a simpler stay and more casual service than typical Backroads accommodations. Built in 1915, the hotel has preserved its rustic charm – each guest room features a unique floor plan and is not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning. We selected this hotel for its stunning location on the rim of Crater Lake and its access to world-class hiking.