French Pyrenees to Basque Country Walking & Hiking Tour
Sparkling Biarritz to Spain's Rioja Wine Region
On a map, there's a line. One side France. The other, Spain. But as you gaze at the resplendent Bay of Biscay, walk the high plains and valleys of the Pyrenees, follow the path of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago, and toast the vibrant colors, light and superb wines of La Rioja, you'll see it's a place all its own.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
France & Spain
Start Biarritz / End Bilbao
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Journey from the dramatic Atlantic Pyrenees in France to the glorious green mountain landscapes of the Basque Country in Spain
- Hike up to breathtaking views of the region's iconic vast beech forests, broad patchwork hills and sheep-dotted pastures
- Walk with travelers from all over the world on part of the famed pilgrimage trail of St. James, the Camino de Santiago
- Savor excellent Basque cuisine created by Michelin-starred chef Francis Paniego and exquisite wines of the Rioja region
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike along the coast, past hidden beaches, quaint seaside villages and rugged rock formations | Arrive in the atmospheric town of St-Jean-de-Luz, beloved for its picturesque square | Stroll the town’s sheltered port, where fishermen tend to their colorful boats | Sip a post-hike libation on the terrace of our exquisite retreat.
Enjoy lush gardens and lovely art deco style at this elegant 19th-century hotel. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Discover the Basque Country’s bucolic charm as you walk through green sheep-dotted hills | Hiking in the Pyrenees, skirt the line between France and Spain on an ancient route once used by wayfarers and smugglers | Linger over a classic Basque lunch in charming Bidarray | Explore the landscape surrounding our idyllic retreat or simply take in the scene from the pool.
A beautifully restored traditional Basque farm from the 17th century offering pastoral tranquility and dramatic views of the surrounding emerald hills. (pool, spa)
Cross into the Navarra region of Spain for a walk on the renowned Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route | Trek through medieval villages and across old stone bridges | Taste an array of local pintxos—delicious small plates | Prepare to be stunned by tonight’s Frank Gehry-designed hotel and winery | Rural beauty surrounds us in La Rioja wine region, where hundreds of ancestral wineries have thrived for generations | As you hike, admire the play of sunlight, shadow and color on the vineyard-laced landscape | Walk on centuries-old cobblestone streets in historic villages like Laguardia and Elciego | Indulge in Basque specialties with Michelin stars—the ideal finish to an extraordinary week.
Created by Frank Gehry to complement his famed Guggenheim design in Bilbao, this architectural masterpiece—featuring Michelin-starred cuisine—is a destination unto itself. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes level to rolling dirt paths and quiet country roads, with some steeper climbs and descents.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On many nights, the gourmet restaurants where we dine offer specially prepared limited or fixed menus featuring a delicious selection of authentic regional cuisine.
Hôtel Parc Victoria and Auberge Ostapé are Premiere Hotels housed in beautiful historic buildings. While they offer outstanding service and amenities, please note that they are not equipped with air-conditioning. Despite the region's generally temperate climate and cool nights, guestrooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.