Alaska Walking & Hiking Tour
- The hike of a lifetime along Exit Glacier to staggering views of Resurrection River Valley and Harding Icefield
- Boat across Kachemak Bay, then trek to amazing Grewingk Glacier
- Visit the coastal towns of Homer and Seward, brimming with Alaskan character
- Watch for black bears, marmots and moose
- Alpine grandeur surrounds you on the hike to lofty Crow Pass
From Homer to Seward on the Majestic Kenai Peninsula
It feels like the end of the earth...or the beginning of it. Two legs take you to places that few humans have seen. Glaciers sheer down mountainsides to waters brimming with sea life. Poets fish—and fishers write poetry—in the coastal town of Homer. You marvel as Kachemak Bay shows you all its weather, or at the rushing waterfalls and endless wildflower fields on hikes throughout the Kenai Peninsula. Your sense of the wilderness will never be the same after this.
Day 1 Homer, one of Alaska's most scenic towns: see for yourself why it was nicknamed "The End of the Road" Hike along bluffs overlooking town and the dramatic Kachemak Bay, a 40-mile-long arm of the Cook Inlet famous for its extreme tides.
Day 2 Trek to amazing Grewingk Glacier, where you may spot caribou and Dall sheep En route to Glacier Lake, you're surrounded by Kachemak Bay State Park's 400,000 acres of wilderness, reachable only by air and sea Care to meet some water-loving locals? Sea otters, porpoises, loons and bald eagles may say hello.
Days 3-4 Sensational Exit Glacier and Harding Icefield Enjoy the wildflowers on a steep but rewarding hike to stunning Carter Lake The picturesque town of Seward invites a wander The hike of a lifetime along Exit Glacier leads to staggering views of Resurrection River Valley and Harding Icefield, a glacier spanning more than 900 square miles Keep your eyes out for moose, bears and marmots in the dense forest of Kenai Fjords National Park.
Days 5-6 Hike to Crow Pass for a closer look at the Raven Glacier, following a route that was once part of the historic Iditarod Trail Experience Alaska's dramatic temperatures as you climb to snow-laden heights Follow Winner Creek through the temperate coastal forest of Cook Inlet while snacking on wild blueberries.
Land's End Resort
Homer (2 nights) Commune with eagles, otters and seals where land meets sea on Kachemak Bay. (spa)
Seward Windsong Lodge
Seward (2 nights) Nestled in the woods of the striking Resurrection River Valley.
Girdwood (1 night) This stylish hotel with an aerial tram to the top of Mount Alyeska has earned accolades from Travel + Leisure. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
A phenomenal experience filled with sensory awe and everlasting memories. The local guides and leaders were more than simply competent - they were effervescent personalities that precisely complemented the experience. We trekked to locations that we could not have imagined, enjoyed vistas that no camera picture will ever fully capture. It was, quite simply, the best.- Oceanside, CA
This trip was beyond anything I could have imagined! It truly was a dream trip, made even better by our fabulous leaders. I don't know how I could ever travel independently again!- Atlanta, GA
Amazing, amazing, amazing! I knew we'd be taken care of, but was still impressed with the seamlessness of the entire week. We joked how things seemed to just happen magically, luggage ready in our rooms, keys handed to us upon arrival, lunch tables ready with beautiful presentations for us to pack our lunches every morning, extra water bottles, walking sticks, cold drinks and snacks always available, and daily schedules that were followed. The amount of work that went on behind the scenes must have been immense, but none of us ever got the sense that either of the leaders were scrambling. It was so greatly appreciated! Additionally, the hiking was superb. I don't think I'll ever forget sitting and looking out over the Harding Icefields. I could have sat there for hours! This was my first trip and though I got home just this morning from Alaska, I have already looked online to see what I should do next. I think the best way to sum it up would be to share that at the end of the trip I was hugging new friends with tears in my eyes at the thought that it was all over.- Chicago, IL
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 7/6 - 7/11 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 7/13 - 7/18 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 7/20 - 7/25 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 7/27 - 8/1 ( $2898 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 8/3 - 8/8 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 8/10 - 8/15 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
- 8/17 - 8/22 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$660 for single occ.
2016 CLASSIC DATES
- 6/13 - 6/18 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 6/20 - 6/25 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 6/27 - 7/2 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/4 - 7/9 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/11 - 7/16 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/18 - 7/23 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 7/25 - 7/30 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/1 - 8/6 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/8 - 8/13 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/15 - 8/20 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/22 - 8/27 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
- 8/29 - 9/3 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
2016 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 6/18 - 6/23 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$720 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
The terrain on this trip includes alpine trails, meadow paths and rain forest hikes.
Parts of this trip are on permitted areas in Chugach National Forest.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.