Switzerland Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Swiss Villages & Alpine Bliss in the Bernese Oberland
The grass really is greener in Switzerland. Just ask the dairy cows grazing in the lush alpine meadows. Or simply see for yourself while hiking and biking through spectacular Swiss landscapes encircled by snow-covered mountains and punctuated with sparkling lakes. From the idyllic peaks and valleys of the Bernese Oberland to the North Face's iconic skyline, bring the family and experience the best of Switzerland's mountain playgrounds.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start Kandersteg / End Interlaken
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Breathe in fresh alpine air amid impossibly blue lakes, impressive glaciers and endless green meadows
- Bike and stroll through postcard-perfect Swiss villages with cheery wooden chalets and friendly denizens
- Journey across sparkling Lake Thun on a historic paddleboat and kayak on azure Lake Brienz
- Savor family dinners of raclette, fondue and apple strudel—Switzerland's comfort foods are unparalleled
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Savor breathtaking alpine scenery as you commute the Swiss way: by chairlift! | Hike on a ridge above Lake Oeschinen, surrounded by limestone cliffs, snowy peaks and hanging ice | Cold beer and hot cocoa await your family at a traditional alpine hut.
A family-run alpine retreat surrounded by verdant forests and soaring snowcapped mountains. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
From flower-laden chalets to milk cows adorned with brass bells, the scenery is quintessentially Swiss as you bike with family through a serene valley | Ride past teal-colored Lake Thun en route to Interlaken | Indulge in a decadent family dinner—fondue paired with regional wines | Bike through the Lauterbrunnen Valley, famous for its thundering waterfalls and towering rock faces | Hop aboard a historical cog-wheel train for a 1,300-foot lift to the resort town of Wengen | Tackle the breathtaking hike up to Kleine Scheidegg, the base camp for the famous Eiger Glacier climb.
Catch stunning views of Eiger's north face from this luxurious chalet-style hotel. (pool, spa)
Admire the iconic Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau towering above the emerald-green landscape | Take a family hike from First Peak to Bachalpsee, one of Switzerland’s most beautiful lakes | Get stoked on an exhilarating descent by Trotti bikes into Grindelwald Valley | Walk on the impressive north face of the Eiger Trail, one of Switzerland’s most legendary hiking routes | Bike into Meiringen Valley past countless waterfalls, including seven-tiered Reichenbach Falls | Ride along Lake Brienz and kayak in its turquoise waters | Amble along the lake’s shore to the charming town of Iseltwald.
Elegance and old-world charm reign at this turreted beauty in a picturesque setting by Lake Brienz and the Giessbach Falls. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The walking and hiking terrain on this trip includes a mix of dirt paths and paved and gravel roads. Most of our hikes take place at elevations of 4,000–7,000 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest. The biking routes vary from level to rolling with a few steeper climbs. Most of our rides are on car-free bike paths; the Backroads support van will intersect with the routes at strategic points.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
For the best riding in Switzerland, we've chosen a combination of small quiet roads and some unpaved bike paths with short stretches of limited van support. Our bikes are equipped with slightly wider tires to accommodate the path and trail surfaces.
While the hotels on this trip offer outstanding service and amenities, please note that they are not equipped with air-conditioning and guest rooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.