Charleston & Savannah Multi-Adventure Tour
Historic Architecture & Coastal Low Country
Sometimes you just need to slow down. Inhale the aroma of blossoming jasmine. Bike leisurely under shady live oaks draped in Spanish moss. Strike up a conversation over a glass of sweet tea. Savor the Southern charm of Savannah, Bluffton and Beaufort on the way to Charleston. Dine extravagantly. This is how a vacation is supposed to feel.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Georgia & South Carolina
Start Savannah / End Charleston or Savannah
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Amble through historic Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah, all rich with beautiful architecture, gardens and Southern charm
- Indulge in fine Southern cuisine plus experience an authentic Low Country boil as you listen to tales from our local friends
- Paddle the quiet waters of the ACE Basin in the company of local wildlife, including cormorants and eagles
- Luxuriate at Montage Palmetto Bluff—an elegant resort in an oasis-like setting, with amenities wrapped up in impeccable hospitality
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Discover Savannah's wisteria-scented squares, oak-lined avenues and secret alleys on a guided walk | Pass through a tunnel of ancient oak trees as you enter Wormsloe Plantation historic site for a grand Backroads picnic | Settle into our luxurious retreat at Montage Palmetto Bluff, and take advantage of all the amenities they have to offer | Bike along the quiet paths on Palmetto's property | Enjoy a scenic boat ride into downtown Bluffton.
Brimming with impeccable Southern-style service and amenities including a Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course and a 13,000-square-foot spa, pool and fitness center, this bucolic hotel is nestled on the May River within an award-winning 20,000-acre community. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Bike from historic Penn Center through a lush semitropical forest of twisted palm trees to the beach at gorgeous Hunting Island State Park | Dip your toes in the water during a leisurely beach walk | Learn about the tiny seaside town of Beaufort, known for preserving antebellum culture and architecture, on a guided walk | Over a Low Country boil, learn about the unique language, songs and traditions of the Gullah community—descendants of West African slaves whose cultural heritage has been preserved for generations.
In the National Historic Landmark District, a beautiful Greek Revival plantation-style inn with sprawling verandas and antebellum-era décor.
Kayak in the ACE Basin on the Ashepoo River, an area frequented by cormorants and eagles | Stroll on a boardwalk through a submerged cypress tupelo swamp forest, keeping an eye out for alligators! | Soak up the charming culture of Charleston, the first city in the country to zone for a historic district, and on a night out take your pick of amazing eateries in the state's culinary capital | Step back in time and peek into the lives of Charleston's 19th-century merchant elite during a guided tour of Nathaniel Russel House, a National Historic Landmark | Cycle through Mount Pleasant and past the grand mansions of Sullivan’s Island on the way to historic Fort Moultrie | With our charming local guide, explore the lovely historic district of Charleston with narrow brick alleys, hidden cemeteries, stunning architecture and flower-draped courtyards.
The service is second to none at this Charleston landmark. Oversized rooms, some with fireplaces and whirlpool tubs, come with modern amenities and European bedding. Travel + Leisure World's Best.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
SMALL GROUP? TRY RENDEZVOUS | An extra leader and van for even more flexibility | Call us to book your Rendezvous.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage