Santorini & Crete Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Sun-Splashed Mythical Greek Isles
Beaches, deep mountain gorges and vestiges of great civilizations. Like a gift from the gods, Crete is a vacation paradise. Ride quiet roads on the outskirts of bustling port towns. Hike rugged island terrain and savor tranquil moments by the sea. Then journey across the Aegean to breathtaking Santorini. Ancient Mediterranean islands, world-class hospitality, luxurious coastal retreats. This family trip is legendary.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start Heraklion, Crete / End Santorini
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike through vestiges of great civilizations in Crete, an island known today for its stunning scenery and warm hospitality
- Hike amid the iconic blue and white colors of Santorini and then watch the sunset from the beach at our paradisiacal hotel
- Travel back in time as you visit historic sites and old-world hamlets set amid orchards of apricots, figs and pomegranate
- Enjoy the Mediterranean flavors of local cuisine, savoring delicious fresh dishes honed by deeply rooted cooking traditions
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Start your family journey in Crete biking past tiny villages and olive groves | Visit the Areti Monastery in Karydi and discover the legend behind the origins of this fortified site, still inhabited by monks | Sip coffee or raki alongside locals in Plaka | Learn a traditional Cretan dance | Soak up the sun over lunch at a local eatery | Cool off with a swim in the dazzling sea at a white-sand beach or relax by your family's private pool at our palatial resort | Follow serene hiking paths through soaring gorges and an idyllic Mediterranean countryside | Discover the ancient ruins at Lato, a well-preserved archaeological site with panoramic views of Crete's peaks and valleys | Travel by boat to neighboring Spinalonga Island | Bike quiet roads to the Aegean Sea from the island's rugged interior | Taste regional dishes and enjoy Cretan hospitality at a local taverna | Consider a yoga class by the beach or pamper yourself at the spa.
Luxurious bohemian atmosphere and private infinity pools with stunning views of the sea are just part of what makes this island resort feel so appropriately named. (pool, spa)
Ferry across the jewel-toned Sea of Crete | Arrive in awe-inspiring and alluring Santorini where signature blue and white buildings climb uphill like an architectural bougainvillea | Wander through the island's picturesque mazelike walkways | Hike one of Santorini's most scenic volcanic trails | Step into the past as you explore peaceful Thirasia island | Sample crisp, volcanic soil-grown local wines | Immerse yourself in the elegant simplicity of Santo Maris Oia, a Greek Isle oasis | A sunrise walk shows off the beauty of the Cyclades—the perfectway to complete this family adventure.
Overlooking the dazzling Aegean Sea, this chic oasis blends elegant style with the authentic feel of this enchanting Greek isle. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
This region's landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys; the continuously rolling terrain and varied road conditions (as well as summertime heat) can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Crete is renowned for its spectacular mountain ranges and dramatic gorges. The routes on this trip take you through the best of this diverse landscape, with some steep ascents and descents. Level sections of riding are few and far between, and the winters can leave the roads weathered and worn. Also note that some routes follow quiet winding roads with minimal shoulder and few guardrails. We'll flatten some of the hills with strategic shuttles to give you a boost (and to bypass some busier areas), but you should be comfortable with some long downhills or hopping in the van for a lift.
In order to access the most scenic biking routes and significant points of interest on this trip, strategic shuttles are incorporated into several days of our itinerary. Most will be limited to an hour or so at a time, but on some days you can expect to spend a bit more time in the shuttle. Rest assured that we have planned our itinerary to make the most of our time on this spectacular island. So sit back and relax, knowing that someone else is doing the driving, and enjoy the beauty of the journey.
We travel by public ferry across the Aegean Sea to access the wonders of Santorini Island. Be prepared for the possibility of wet windy conditions and bring seasickness medication if you think you'll need it.
Crete and Santorini are popular tourist destinations with busy peak seasons, especially during the summer months and on national holidays. We've planned our itinerary to take you off the beaten path, but crowds are common on these small islands. And keep in mind that summer heat can make biking and hiking more challenging.