Costa Rica Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Arenal Volcano to Manuel Antonio National Park
Like wildlife and outdoor adventure? You and your family will love Costa Rica, where monkeys enliven the canopy and iguanas bask in the sun. Jungle hikes, bike rides, white-water rafting and sea kayaking immerse you in extraordinary biodiversity, from Arenal Volcano to the Pacific coast. Get set to have fun, relax and discover your own pura vida!
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start/End San José
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike and bike, then soak in restorative geothermal hot springs at the base of majestic Arenal Volcano
- Observe a stunning variety of wildlife—sloths, monkeys, lizards and more—in Manuel Antonio National Park
- Experience a thrilling white-water rafting adventure on Class II-III rapids on the pristine Savegre River
- Kayak with your family from a beautiful remote beach across a calm protected bay under volcanic cliffs
6 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Bike rolling paved roads flanked by plantations of papaya, sugarcane and yucca to La Fortuna, nestled near the foot of Arenal Volcano | Indulge in a chocolate tour and tasting | Soak in geothermal hot springs nestled within a tropical forest | Ride around Lake Arenal, listening for the call of howler monkeys | Enjoy scenic views while on a boat cruise across the lake | Optional on-your-own activities abound—fly through the treetops on a zip line, indulge in a massage or simply relax by the pool.
Take in majestic views of Arenal Volcano while soaking in your suite's private whirlpool. (pool, spa)
Trek across a lava field near Arenal Volcano National Park | Our private charter plane whisks us to Quepos, a beachside town on the central Pacific coast | Sit down to a home-cooked casado (traditional Costa Rican meal) with a local family | Hike through the pristine Savegre Valley.
African-style luxury safari tents offer the ideal setting for enjoying the sights and sounds of the jungle. (pool)
Make a splash on a thrilling white-water rafting excursion on Río Savegre | Spot a wealth of wildlife and enjoy the views on a coastal rain forest trail | In Manuel Antonio National Park, look for white-faced monkeys and sloths lounging in the branches overhead and prehistoric-looking iguanas slithering up tree trunks | Swim in the ocean or hike out to a viewpoint and take it all in | Opt to take a surf lesson or enjoy an afternoon soaking up the sun or watching the waves of the Pacific roll in | From a secluded beach, sea kayak across a protected bay | Check out families of crocodiles sunning themselves along the Tárcoles River on our way back to San José.
A Spanish-style resort with peaceful views of the Manuel Antonio rain forest and the azure Pacific. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. On this Family Trip for Older Teens & 20s, our routes have relatively little elevation gain or loss. However, the terrain, heat and humidity can make biking more challenging than the mileage may suggest. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary and mileage is moderate to enable you to spend more time exploring on your own.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive areas this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Sansa Airlines aboard turbo-prop planes that seat 8-14 passengers. These flights occasionally experience delays or cancellations due to inclement weather. In the rare instance a flight is cancelled we are prepared to travel by land.
Costa Rica is a world-renowned destination for eco-adventure. However, due to its tropical climate and under-developed infrastructure, road maintenance is a continual challenge and options for bike routes are limited. Be prepared for unexpected potholes (huecos—pronounced "waycos") and sections of rough roads. Also note that these tico (Costa Rican) roads were not designed with a shoulder, and if you are traveling over busier holiday periods, there may be more traffic than expected.
During the trip there's time for you to enjoy some of Costa Rica's favorite activities, such as zip-lining, horseback riding and surfing. These activities are often a highlight for those who choose to do them, but due to liability issues and because they're not to everyone's liking they're not included in the cost of the trip and participation is at your own risk.
In order to bring you to diverse and unique regions, we spend more time shuttling on this trip than on many other Backroads trips. Our time in the shuttles will allow us to experience the incredible variety of ecosystems, scenery and activities that Costa Rica has to offer.
The holiday and spring break months are a great time to travel; however, with days off and the desire to escape for sunshine many others have the same idea. While we always aim to get off the beaten path, during certain times of the year crowds and delays are unavoidable.