Costa Rica Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Cloud Forest & Volcanoes to the Pacific Coast
Pura vida! Not just a greeting in Costa Rica but a way of life. Pure life. Enthusiasm for adventure. Seize it all, from cloud forests and jungles to rain forests with hidden hot springs and plummeting waterfalls. Howler monkeys and iguanas. Zip lines, white-water rafting, biking, hiking and hammocks. Bring your family and embrace the pure life in Costa Rica.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Special Kids Prices
Start/End San José
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike through cloud forest to Costa Rica's largest waterfall, Catarata del Toro, which plunges into an ancient volcano crater
- Raft the white water rapids of the Río Sarapiquí, looking for toucans, iguanas, sloths and other unique jungle dwellers
- Bike along Lake Arenal and gaze at majestic Arenal Volcano, rising dramatically from the lush green rain forest
- Socialize with the endangered scarlet macaw after a hike to a Backroads-sponsored aviary and breeding center
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Start your adventure with a walk on the grounds of the Espíritu Santo Coffee Estate | Learn about the coffee-making process, from planting to tasting | Hike through a cloud forest to a waterfall | Luxuriate at an eco-retreat set in a 500-acre cloud forest reserve | Ride to Catarata del Toro, the largest waterfall in Costa Rica, and watch the water crash into an ancient volcanic crater | Visit a local home and discover the secret to perfect handmade tortillas.
"When you're sitting on a lookout deck with a whirlpool, perched high above the forest, it's a blissful reminder of how precious el silencio can be," said Travel + Leisure about this 500-acre sanctuary. (spa)
Buckle up for a white-water rafting excursion on the Río Sarapiquí | Watch for playful monkeys, gentle sloths, green iguanas and colorful toucans | Hike on rain forest trails and cross an Indiana Jones-style hanging bridge | Enjoy a Costa Rican cooking class and learn how to make a guaro mojito.
Take in majestic views of Arenal Volcano while soaking in your suite's private whirlpool. (pool, spa)
Cross Lake Arenal by boat, then explore its lush jungle surroundings by bike | Ride through a vibrant landscape colored by palms, ferns, fig trees and bromeliads | Soak in a natural hot spring hidden in a forest oasis | A private plane whisks us to the Pacific coast | Explore some of Costa Rica's most stunning beaches and hidden trails | Visit the Ara Project, a Backroads-sponsored conservation program dedicated to reintroducing the scarlet macaw | At our oceanfront resort, opt to ride horseback, take a surf lesson, enjoy a yoga class or lounge on the beach | Join a guide for a cultural walk in Islita, an open-air museum, and a visit to the local art gallery.
This eco-friendly resort is tucked away between an ocean cove and the forest on the pristine Nicoya Peninsula. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: On this trip, our routes are designed to be easygoing, with relatively little elevation gain or loss. However, rough terrain, heat and humidity can make biking in Costa Rica more challenging than the mileage may suggest. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary to facilitate our activities and mileage is kept moderate to enable you to spend more time exploring on your own.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive areas this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Sansa Airlines aboard turbo-prop planes that seat 8-14 passengers. These flights occasionally experience delays or cancellations due to inclement weather. In the rare instance a flight is cancelled we are prepared to travel by land.
Costa Rica is a world-renowned destination for numerous eco-adventures. However, due to its tropical climate and under-developed infrastructure, road maintenance is a continual challenge and options for bike routes are limited. Be prepared for unexpected potholes (huecos—pronounced "waycos") and sections of rough roads. Also note that these Tico roads were not designed with a shoulder, and if you are traveling over busier holiday periods, there may be more traffic than expected.
In order to bring you to diverse and unique regions, we spend more time shuttling on this trip than on many other Backroads trips. Our time in the shuttles will allow us to experience the incredible variety of ecosystems, scenery and activities that Costa Rica has to offer.
During the trip there's time for you to enjoy some of Costa Rica's favorite activities, such as zip-lining, horseback riding and surfing. These activities are often a highlight for those who choose to do them, but due to liability issues and because they're not to everyone's liking they're not included in the cost of the trip and participation is at your own risk.
The holiday and spring break months are a great time to travel; however, with days off and the desire to escape for sunshine many others have the same idea. While we always aim to get off the beaten path, during certain times of the year crowds and delays are unavoidable.