Arizona's Saguaro & Tucson Multi-Adventure Tour - 4-Day Getaway
National Park Adventures in the Sun
Southern Arizona. Where saguaro cacti, standing tall as North America’s largest cactus, defy nature’s extremes. Where you bike up rugged hills and hike down peaceful trails in magical landscapes. Where cougars and cactus flowers make appearances in the Sonoran Desert. And where you fall in love with Tucson, a UNESCO City of Gastronomy.
THIS ITINERARY: 4 days, 3 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Plus Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike and bike through the diverse and lush Sonoran Desert, home to the iconic symbol of the American Southwest: otherworldly saguaros
- Visit the one-of-a-kind Arizona-Sonora Desert museum where Gila monsters, prairie dogs, river otters and raptors roam
- Enjoy Tucson, set next to the desert landscapes and mountain ranges of Saguaro National Park, and learn about the city and park’s histories
- Cycle around Tucson on a car-free loop thanks to the city’s world-renowned urban biking infrastructure
4 Days Casual Plus Hotels
DAY 1 From Tucson, we journey to Saguaro National Park West, comprised of over 24,000 acres of desert landscape | Hike along a ravine to find the remnants of an old copper mine and views of giant saguaros and their long arms reaching for the Sonoran desert sun | Find 800-year-old petroglyphs etched into canyon walls by Hohokam peoples | Explore the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a unique zoo, natural history museum and botanical garden | At the end of each day relax at our historic resort, perhaps poolside with vistas of the Santa Catalina Mountains.
DAY 2 On your bike, take a spin on Tucson's car-free path to Saguaro National Park East, the larger side of the park and home to cougars and bears | Cycle along the acclaimed Cactus Loop, a quiet one-way road in the park | Enjoy a roller-coaster route that twists and turns through a saguaro cactus forest | Get a taste of the climb up Mt. Lemmon, one of the country’s top 10 sustained distance climbs, where you’ll find an otherworldly environment of rock formations and incredible views of the Tucson valley.
DAYS 3-4 Get to know Tucson as you circle the city on a car-free paved route | Stroll through Mercado San Agustin, an open-air courtyard lined with local shops and restaurants that embody the casual and artsy Tucson vibe | In the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, hike through the riparian zone of Sabino Canyon, brimming with diverse vegetation and wildlife.
The perfect combination of historical elegance and sophisticated luxury, this hacienda-inspired sanctuary once welcomed mid-century Hollywood icons including Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. You'll see why it deserves its Historic Hotels of America membership. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, but note that on this trip we bike and shuttle past some urban areas from our boutique hotel in the city of Tucson to access the region's highlights. Also, on biking days, we've added strategic shuttle options that bypass most of the trafficked areas—you're always welcome to choose the shuttle!
The city of Tucson prohibits motorized devices (including e-bikes) on bicycle pathways. On this trip, portions of several routes include a ride on a bicycle pathway; e-bike riders will have to pedal their bike without the battery during this section. Your Backroads Trip Leaders will handle the removal and return of your batteries. (Note that without battery power, biking may feel more challenging than the activity level suggests.)