DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Czech Republic & Austria Bike Tour
Medieval Villages from Prague to Vienna
Captivating Prague. It's only the start of your trip. Bike Bohemia's gentle contours, discovering enchanting Tábor and Český Krumlov. Explore Austria's Wachau Valley wine region. Even find Richard the Lionheart's castle. Last stop: romantic Vienna. There's so much to experience in the Czech Republic and Austria.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Czech Republic & Austria
Start Prague / End Vienna
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Explore culturally rich Czech Republic destinations including Český Krumlov, a charming 13th-century town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs
- Bike along the fabled Danube River and past idyllic vineyards in the Wachau Valley, a remarkable World Heritage landscape
- Discover Austria's living folklore in picture-perfect villages with locals donning traditional attire and onion-shaped church steeples
- Experience two very different countries and cultures in one trip, with Prague and Vienna as intriguing bookends
6 Days Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Explore Tábor, a 15th-century enclave sitting atop a hill overlooking the surrounding countryside | Stroll the cobbled streets of its lovely old town, lined with colorful homes, open-air cafés and artisan vendors | A clever maze of tunnels lies below the streets, which in times of danger were used to shelter its citizens.
Set on medieval Tábor's main square, this hotel features guest rooms decorated with original artwork, antique furniture and ancient fossils. (spa)
Cycle across the hills of Bohemia, through tranquil farmland and the village of Holašovice, an impeccably preserved World Heritage site | Fall in love with Český Krumlov, a charming medieval town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs where most of the buildings are designated cultural monuments | Behold views of ornate 13th-century Krumlov Castle, the second-largest in the Czech Republic | Dive into the country's fascinating history with our local guide and longtime friend | Gather at a local pub for a pint-sized taste of Czech culture.
A former Jesuit monastery from the 16th century, with a perfect location in the town's center. (pool, spa)
Discover two intriguing countries and cultures in one trip | Czech treasures make way for Austria's beautiful Waldviertel, draped in forests and rolling fields of barley and wheat—a great place to bike | Ride along the fabled Danube River and through Wachau Valley vineyards and private estates | Visit Melk, whose magnificent baroque abbey is perched high on a rocky promontory | A local winemaker invites us over for a private tasting of his family's famous Rieslings and Grüner Veltliners | Bike through Austria’s picture-perfect villages with onion-shaped church steeples | Soak up the views from Dürnstein's castle ruins, where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned | Head to vibrant Vienna, an enchanting place to extend your vacation.
A "stately castle-hotel on a fortified promontory at a scenic bend of the Danube River," raves Andrew Harper about this gem. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we spend two nights at the historic Hotel Ruže, a former Jesuit monastery from the 16th century, where guest rooms are clean and comfortable, but simpler than the typical Backroads standard. We've chosen this property because of its ideal location in the center of the World Heritage site of Český Krumlov.
To bring you to our favorite parts of the Czech Republic and Austria, we make liberal use of shuttles on this trip. So although you'll see the inside of the Backroads van for an hour or so on most days, consider it an opportunity to view some spectacular scenery while resting your legs in preparation for your next ride.