DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Croatia & Slovenia Bike Tour
Julian Alps, Istrian Vineyards & the Sea
Slow down in Slovenia. Take time to marvel at snowcapped peaks and expansive river valleys. Pause to notice the brilliant blues of glacial lakes. Resist the urge to rush toward Croatia’s coastline. Let its beauty unfold as you bike to the Adriatic Sea. Then linger to watch the sunset light it all up. Ride as fast as you’d like, but know that there’s no need to hurry here.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels
Croatia & Slovenia
Start Ljubljana, Slovenia / End Trieste, Italy
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Discover Ljubljana in Slovenia, recently named Green Capital of Europe by the European Commission
- Bike peaceful roads through lush vineyards, verdant forests, terraced hills and charming towns
- Explore ancient Venetian villages and castle ruins that illustrate the Istrian Peninsula's fascinating history
- Glide by boat across the dazzling waters of Slovenia's glacial Lake Bled and off Croatia's Adriatic coastline
6 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels
Begin your journey in Ljubljana, Slovenia, one of Europe's hidden gems | Bike to Bled, a picturesque resort town nestled in the foothills of the Julian Alps | Gaze over the mountains and Lake Bled from an 11th-century hilltop castle | Climb a beautifully forested route to Slovenia's Triglav National Park and enjoy lunch at a local cheese farm | End the day with a pletna (traditional wooden boat) ride across Lake Bled as alpenglow lights up the surrounding peaks.
Covered in ivy and situated on beautiful Lake Bled, this lovely property has a beautiful interior, a fascinating history and a private beach. (pool, spa)
Discover Slovenia's postcard-perfect Radovna Valley and the famed mountaineering towns of Mojstrana and Kranjska Gora | Follow a scenic bike path along a converted railway | Dine on fresh-caught seafood and sample fine regional wines.
Overlooking the Adriatic Sea, this luxurious hotel offers stellar service and blends contemporary design with classic elegance. (pool, spa)
Cross the border by bike as Croatia’s quiet roads, dense forests and terraced fields welcome you | Cycle peaceful roads to Livade, Croatia’s truffle capital, and learn to spot these fragrant culinary delights | Ride from the Venetian town of Bale through central Istria’s striking landscape | Dive into history as you pass small villages, castle ruins and the remains of medieval towns | Admire the views of Lim Fjord as you return by boat to our coastal retreat on the Adriatic | Take a final spin to the sparkling turquoise waters of the Adriatic Sea.
This tranquil country retreat is surrounded by lush olive groves and Mediterranean flora and features spacious rooms with rustic yet luxurious styling. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Croatia and Slovenia are popular tourist destinations with busy peak seasons, especially during the summer months and on national holidays. We've planned our itinerary to take you off the beaten path, but crowds are common in this region, particularly on the coast. Keep in mind that summer heat can make biking and hiking more challenging.