The Carolinas Bike Tour
Outdoorsy Greenville to Artsy Asheville
This trip is all about natural splendor, Southern Appalachian culture and some of the most glorious riding on the Eastern Seaboard! From outdoorsy Greenville to artsy Asheville. From George Hincapie’s cycle-centric hotel to George Vanderbilt’s opulent estate, experience one of our most pedal-perfect offerings yet.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
South & North Carolina
Start Greenville / End Asheville
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Marvel at sweeping vistas and stunning colors in the storied Blue Ridge Mountains and the rolling hills of the Piedmont region
- Tap your feet to the sound of bluegrass—music born and nourished in North Carolina's mountains
- Bike on the Blue Ridge Parkway, famous among cycling enthusiasts for its picturesque views and thrilling elevations
- Delight your taste buds with regional specialties of the Carolinas, including farm-to-table cuisine and a plethora of craft brews
5 Days Premiere Hotels*
Bike the Swamp Rabbit Trail, one of Greenville’s famed Rails-to-Trails pathways, along the Reedy River | Set out on a peaceful ride through the Greenville Watershed Area and visit the historic Victorian village of Saluda | Relax at our Mediterranean-style hotel and fuel up with a wonderful dinner at Restaurant 17 | Embark upon Hincapie’s Gran Fondo route or choose a leisurely spin past the North Saluda Reservoir.
Set amid the rolling Blue Ridge Mountains, this stylish boutique hotel is the brainchild of 17-time Tour de France competitor George Hincapie and his brother Rich. (pool)
Cycle north at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in South Carolina | Tackle the ascent of Caesars Head—spectacular vistas await at the summit | If you enjoy rolling terrain, you’ll love pedaling through the afternoon stretch of Southern Appalachia and classic Carolina farmland | Enjoy bluegrass music over a traditional barbecue dinner.
Bordering Pisgah National Forest, the modern cabins at Pilot Cove are designed to blend into their verdant setting and have easy access to area trails.
Head out on a peaceful ride in Pisgah National Forest, home to Looking Glass Falls and the Cradle of Forestry heritage site | Cycle down an exhilarating portion of the 469-mile Blue Ridge Parkway | Bike through tunnels and past scenic overlooks | Explore George Vanderbilt’s magnificent Loire Valley-inspired château and gardens, set within the 8,000-acre Biltmore Estate | Enjoy a leisurely spin through the Biltmore Forest before a farewell lunch.
Savor turn-of-the-century elegance and breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains at this gracious inn, nestled on Biltmore's majestic estate. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-5
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage