DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Secret Provence Bike Tour
Avignon to Aix-en-Provence
Each of your senses will take you on a journey through this remarkable landscape. Gaze across undulating meadows. Run your hands over centuries-old stones. Hear a trickling fountain in the town square as you savor a slice of fresh melon. Open the windows and let the scent of endless lavender fields waft through your dreams. Ride at your leisure through Provence.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Avignon / End Aix-en-Provence
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Journey through picturesque countryside to some of the designated Most Beautiful Villages in all of France
- Pedal amid a sea of colorful and fragrant lavender fields, pausing to learn the art of crafting essential oils
- Savor the sophisticated and exquisite flavors of the region's cuisine and wine at world-class restaurants
- Revel in Relais & Châteaux splendor each night and enjoy afternoon visits to the region's finest spas
6 Days Premiere Hotels
From storybook Saignon, bike easygoing paths through lavender fields and oak groves | Discover the limestone-rich Plateau des Claparèdes | Ride past enchanting Luberon villages perchés (perched villages) including the historic hamlet of Bonnieux | Climb to the top of a 12th-century church tower for sweeping views of the valley | Unwind post-ride on the terrace at our villa-style retreat before a magnificent dinner.
Enjoy splendid hilltop views of the Luberon at this beautifully renovated Provençal farmhouse. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Explore Lacoste and Ménerbes, the town Peter Mayle called home while writing A Year in Provence | Bike across the Pont Julien, an ancient Roman stone arch bridge | Fall in love with the many shades of ocher-colored Roussillon | Linger in Gordes, where an imposing château keeps watch over neighboring towns | Pause en route to admire lovely medieval Sénanque Abbey | Opt to indulge in a treatment at our hotel’s world-class spa.
Set in the heart of the Luberon and surrounded by vineyards, this hotel features exceptional views and refined elegance. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Journey into off-the-beaten-path Provence | Bike through the villages of Céreste and Reillanne as a new landscape appears with the Alps’ snowy peaks in the distance | Engage in a traditional game of pétanque, which originated in this sunny region | Discover the 12th-century castle of Simiane-la-Rotonde, a charming hilltop town | Stop in at a family-run lavender farm to learn about the myriad uses of this fragrant flower | Ever tried goat cheese wrapped in chestnut leaves? Today’s your chance in the village of Banon | Head out on a final ride through the serene sun-drenched countryside | Visit a renowned perfumery school and bring home a piece of this unforgettable region with your very own hand-blended essential oil.
A refined 19th-century manor house in the same family for more than 40 years and lovingly cared for by three generations of women. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage