DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Germany to Austria Bike Tour
Bavaria to Tyrolean Alps from Munich to Salzburg
Interested in a recipe for true splendor? Wildflower pastures and crystal-blue lakes. Centuries-old monastic breweries and charming biergartens. Fantastic palaces of mad kings. Timeless grandeur of the Bavarian Alps. Combine natural beauty with historical magnificence—then sit back and drink it all in. You've discovered life at its finest.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Germany & Austria
Start Munich / End Salzburg
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Discover mountain pastures and quaint villages tucked into landscapes that seem straight from a storybook
- Savor extraordinary Michelin-starred cuisine and world-famous Bavarian beers at the best restaurants and biergartens
- Cycle on quiet roads and bike paths past deep forests, scenic lakes and gentle hills with breathtaking alpine backdrops
- Explore sophisticated Munich and fairy-tale Salzburg, magnificent gateway cities in two distinct countries
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Ride through a picturesque Bavarian landscape past a 13th-century farmstead, fields of wildflowers and sparkling lakes | Live it up at a beautiful biergarten on the grounds of an ancient monastic brewery | Discover delightful Tegernsee, a glacier-carved lake encircled by snowcapped peaks.
Situated at the foothills of the Alps on the shore of Lake Tegernsee, this cozy Bavarian chalet is surrounded by nature. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Bike the foothills of the Alps, past forests, wildlife and lovely Bavarian villages | Join one of the region's best chefs to learn how to make scrumptious Bavarian schnitzel | Spin through quaint hamlets with the spectacular Alps as your backdrop | Catch stunning views of Lake Chiemsee and Herreninsel Island, home to the largest palace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria | Savor the region's cuisine at our hotel's two-Michelin-starred restaurant.
This elegant medieval hotel, complete with a two-Michelin-starred restaurant, seamlessly blends luxury and history. (pool, spa)
In the rugged Wilder Kaiser Mountains, pedal through stunning alpine landscapes | Take in the breathtaking panorama of the valley on your descent into Austria's Tyrolia | As the impressive Alps rise up around you, the Tiroler Achen River shimmers below | Rejuvenate in the pools of our spectacular Relais & Châteaux hotel in Kitzbühel | Marvel at the natural beauty of the Kitzbühel area, home to the largest cycling event in the world | Bike through tiny villages, undulating pastures and impressive mountain ranges on some of the same routes raced by the pros | A cable car whisks you up the Kitzbüheler Horn for spectacular 360-degree views of the Austrian Alps and a short hike in the fresh air.
This family-owned hotel offers a perfect balance of modern luxury and Tyrolean tradition, with sweeping mountain vistas. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The accommodations on this trip are Premiere Hotels housed in beautiful historic buildings. While they offer outstanding service and amenities, please note that Park-Hotel Egerner Höfe and Hotel Tennerhof are not equipped with air-conditioning. Despite the region's generally temperate climate and cool nights, guestrooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.