Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket Bike Tour
Massachusetts’s Colonial Islands
It'll be early on. You'll round a corner on a beach road, maybe in 'Sconset or Aquinnah. And it will hit you. The quiet. The open Atlantic pulsing on the shore. Seabirds above and a breeze fanning the dunes. You'll imagine selling your possessions and buying a lobster boat. It's OK, the urge passes eventually. But you'll have five days to enjoy it.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Nantucket Town / End Vineyard Haven
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Circle Martha's Vineyard on two wheels, pedaling past scenic beaches, historic homes, woodland and cranberry bogs
- Pedal over rolling hills to the red-clay cliffs of Aquinnah, with a 200-year-old lighthouse and panoramic views over the Elizabeth Islands
- Explore Edgartown’s colonial roots, art galleries and spectacular architecture, not to mention plenty of ice cream shops
- Bike around the island of Nantucket followed by a journey through maritime history at the Nantucket Shipwreck & Lifesaving Museum
5 Days Premiere Hotels
Downshift into island life on Nantucket | A gentle ride to Cisco Beach leads past 18th- and 19th-century sea captains' homes and lighthouses | Explore the island by bike with gardens, cranberry bogs, harbors and dunes enlivening your route | The Nantucket Shipwreck & Lifesaving Museum chronicles the area's maritime heritage | Up for a stroll along the Atlantic? Siasconset and Surfside Beaches beckon with pristine stretches of sand.
A "stylishly refurbished in-town hotel on a quiet waterfront, a brief walk from the historic district," noted Andrew Harper. (spa)
Soak up the rich history of Nantucket Town on a walking tour | A private boat transports us to Martha’s Vineyard | Explore the unique town of Oak Bluffs, home to colorful gingerbread cottages | Pedal to the port town of Vineyard Haven, cruising by stately homes on the West Chop peninsula | Arrive in Edgartown, known for amazing Greek Revival, Federal and Victorian architecture | Cycle inland through forests and open meadows | Fond of art? Galleries tempt you off your bike with watercolors, photography and sculptures by local and world-renowned artists | Explore Chappaquiddick and Cape Poge Light—the lighthouse's first keeper in 1801 was appointed by Thomas Jefferson | Take in the exhilarating sea air on your ride through Katama to reach South Beach and more spectacular ocean views | Pass through the Great Plains of Martha's Vineyard, a protected ecosystem | Enjoy a farewell lunch at the popular Black Dog Tavern.
This 19th-century Gothic Revival home is now a country-style boutique hotel with lovely gardens. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage