Maine's Acadia Bike Tour
National Park, Bar Harbor & Camden
Maine's beauty lies in its rawness. Tart wild blueberries. Hills rising from Camden's rocky shores. Centuries-old roads that hug the shoreline, connecting village to village. Morning mist on Penobscot Bay. Even a delicacy like Maine lobster still involves shells and claws. It's raw. It's true. It's Maine.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Savor the scent of salty sea air, fresh morning fog and the crash of waves on rocky shores, like only the state of Maine can deliver
- Engage your senses as you listen to the silence of deep pine forests and soak up breathtaking ocean views
- Discover the countless charms of seaside Camden, with its historic homes and delightful shops and boutiques
- Experience the mouthwatering flavors of the day's fresh catch, like lobster with plenty of butter for dipping—need we say more?
5 Days Premiere Hotels
Pedal amid the majestic fir and towering spruce of Somes Sound on beautiful Mount Desert Island | The arched bridges and tranquility of Acadia's carriage road system, a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., make for lovely riding | Pounding surf collides with rugged coastline while lush boreal and hardwood forests blanket glacier-scoured hills in Acadia National Park | In the mood for a challenge? Bike to Cadillac Mountain's 1,532-foot summit, the North Atlantic Seaboard's highest point and reputedly the first US location to see the rising sun.
Spectacular views and elegant accommodations await at this luxury boutique hotel on Frenchman Bay. (pool, spa)
Ride through Down East Maine, pedaling along Penobscot Bay and past classic 19th-century New England cottages | Relish Camden's sublime harborside setting and wealth of historic architecture | Bike quiet roads into the heart of Rockland, home of the Farnsworth Art Museum, nationally recognized for its rich collection of Wyeth family paintings | Pedal on to reach the picturesque Owls Head Lighthouse or return to Camden to browse the local shops and bookstores | A fabulous farewell dinner awaits at our inn's elegant, award-winning French restaurant | This morning, enjoy one last scenic spin through the countryside around Camden and Lake Megunticook, stroll through Camden Harbor or linger over coffee on the wraparound porch.
An award-winning restaurant, exceptional hospitality and plush amenities come together to create a "refined stylishness that balances classic with contemporary," according to Andrew Harper. Travel + Leisure World's Best. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: Maine's landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys, and the continuously rolling terrain can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Acadia National Park prohibits commercial bike groups to ride motorized devices (including e-bikes) on their carriage roads. On one day of this trip our route includes a ride on Acadia's carriage roads; e-bike users will have to pedal their bike without the battery in this section. Your Backroads Trip Leaders will handle the removal and return of your batteries.