MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Hudson Valley Bike Tour
New York's Hudson Valley & the Catskills
Between the Big Apple and Albany lies a landscape of red, white and blue. The red grapes hanging from rows of vineyards. The white limestone mansions of Millionaire's Row. The blue Hudson River, your constant companion on this vibrantly colored journey into the heart of the Empire State, one of the country's most historic and captivating regions.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Plus Hotels*
Start Hudson / End Poughkeepsie
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Pedal the peaceful rolling hills, woodlands, picturesque towns, quaint historic homes and meandering valleys of upstate New York
- Explore a region rich in history—from Woodstock to the Vanderbilts and Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- Marvel at superb vistas of the Catskills and postcard-perfect countryside, just a short trip from New York City
- Taste the local bounty—delicious fresh fruit, vegetables, cheeses, wine, beer and cider
5 Days Premiere & Casual Plus Hotels*
Begin your journey in the artist haven of Catskill at the home of one of Hudson Valley's most beloved painters, Thomas Cole | Journey under canopies of leaves, past acres of farmland and alongside babbling creeks and rivers | Enjoy a picnic lunch made with fresh ingredients in the land of Rip Van Winkle | Savor fresh farm-to-table cuisine | Take in views of the rolling Catskill Mountains as you bike around Ashokan Reservoir | Ride through secluded wooded forests and small towns | Linger over lunch in legendary Woodstock | Explore the town's galleries, shops and cafés | On foot, follow a secluded path to the picturesque Saugerties Lighthouse, built in 1869.
Nestled between the Hudson River and the Catskill Mountains, each guest room in this boutique hotel overlooks the falls of the Esopus Creek.
Start your day with a coffee in charming Rhinebeck | Spin past the beautiful Vanderbilt mansion | Pay a visit to the FDR Museum to look at artifacts conveying the story of the Roosevelt era | In Hyde Park, pedal by the acclaimed Culinary Institute of America | Follow a section of the Dutchess Rail Trail to the Walkway Over the Hudson—the longest elevated pedestrian bridge in the world, rising 200 feet above the Hudson | Ride past farmland and quaint country towns at the base of the Shawangunk Mountains | Visit the historic 17th-century stone houses on Huguenot Street | Explore the vibrant and energetic small college town of New Paltz and its charming Main Street dotted with boutiques and cafés | Pedal rolling hills sprinkled with apple trees, vineyards, flower gardens and posh homes | Feel the warm river air as you ride alongside the Hudson one last time.
Named for the waterfall on its grounds, this 75-acre Hudson River Valley estate includes a farm-to-table restaurant, an organic kitchen garden and orchard, an animal sanctuary and scenic trails leading to flowering gardens and the falls. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
While Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, in the Hudson Valley we sometimes have to bike on busier sections of road to reach the best riding. Most of these roads are designated as official bike routes and have a wide shoulder to accommodate cyclists and car traffic. Of course, you're always welcome to jump in the shuttle to avoid the busier stretches.