Costa Rica Bike Tour
Arenal Volcano to the Pacific Coast
Consider some of the best days of your life—and include this week in Costa Rica. You'll bike amid enchanting scenery. Soak in hot springs, hike in a tropical dry forest, bliss out on a beach and marvel at that majestic volcano. Love those papaya batidos. Be greeted by howler monkeys! Six incredible days that will never be forgotten.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Start/End San José
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike past thriving rain forests, breathtaking waterfalls, captivating villages and farming hamlets
- Ride in the shadow of imposing Arenal Volcano after a boat ride across its beautiful sister lake
- Rejuvenate in hot springs in a jungle oasis full of lush palms, colorful bromeliads and verdant ferns
- Experience Costa Rica from a bird's-eye view by zip line or suspended bridges in the rain forest
6 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Meet our longtime local friends, who introduce you to the pura vida lifestyle that defines the Tico culture | Ride on undulating roads through rain forests, over rivers, past fruit groves and farming hamlets | Clouds willing, the views of Arenal Volcano will be impressive! | Cool off with a refreshing fruit drink in La Fortuna | Take in majestic Arenal Volcano on a boat ride across Lake Arenal | Pedal part of the Vuelta del Lago bike race route | Sweet music to your ears? Listen for the call of howler monkeys as you venture across a network of hanging bridges high in the rain forest canopy | Join a cooking class and learn to make ceviche, patacones and mojitos | Bike rolling roads flanked by papaya, pineapple and yucca plantations | Hop off the saddle to explore a local art gallery | Soak in hot springs amid palms, bromeliads and ferns | The afternoon is yours to do as you choose—a zip line adventure through the jungle treetops or a visit to the spa, perhaps?
Arenal Volcano is on display at this tranquil oasis, where each spacious bungalow offers a private deck with whirlpool tub and a secluded outdoor shower. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
A scenic flight whisks us to the Nicoya Peninsula | Cycle through the province of Guanacaste, with spectacular views of mountains and the Gulf of Nicoya | Enjoy ocean breezes on a private boat ride to Bahia Ballena | Ride along the Pacific Ocean to Curú Biological Reserve | Keep your eyes open for scarlet macaws and spider monkeys on a walk through the tropical dry forest with a local naturalist | Bask by the spring-fed swimming pool, do some yoga or lounge on the beach.
This serene seaside haven provides the perfect setting for a leisurely stroll on the beach or a siesta in a hammock slung beneath palms. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Humidity and heat can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive areas this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Sansa Airlines aboard turbo-prop planes that seat 8-14 passengers. These flights occasionally experience delays or cancellations due to inclement weather. In the rare instance a flight is canceled we are prepared to travel by land.
Costa Rica's tropical climate and underdeveloped infrastructure make outdoor adventuring here both epic and challenging. Our options for bike routes can be limited by insufficient road maintenance that results in rough riding conditions. Keep in mind that humidity and heat can make activity more physically demanding.
This trip with Premiere Hotels includes two nights at Tango Mar Beach Resort, a Casual Hotel. The guest rooms are comfortable, but simpler than those of our other hotels. We've chosen this property because of its warm hospitality, prime beachfront location and proximity to our biking routes.
During the trip there's time for you to enjoy some of Costa Rica's favorite activities, such as zip-lining, horseback riding and surfing. These activities are often a highlight for those who choose to do them, but due to liability issues and because they're not to everyone's liking, they're not included in the cost of the trip and participation is at your own risk.
The holiday and spring break months are a great time to travel; however, with days off and the desire to escape for sunshine many others have the same idea. While we always aim to get off the beaten path, during certain times of the year, crowds and delays are unavoidable, and there may be more traffic on our bike routes than expected.