MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Bali Bike Tour
Sacred Temples, Volcanoes & Rice Terraces
It's easy to find inspiration in Bali. You'll see it among terraced rice fields and exotic temples. In bustling market towns and on beautiful black-sand beaches. And among some of the most welcoming people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. Come explore Bali with Backroads in a way that few travelers experience.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Enliven your senses in Bali, a world of striking natural beauty, captivating culture and exotic flavors
- Connect with the bustling local life as you bike on peaceful roads through friendly rural communities
- Snorkel among parrotfish and discover a historic shipwreck teeming with bright coral and reef fish
- Relax at tropical beachside retreats, where you can take in the scene or soak up the rays, as you wish
Set out on unforgettable rides past rice paddies, villages and sacred pools | Go behind the scenes with our longtime friend and local guide Wayan Narta | After spinning through rolling hills near Ubud, visit a mask maker to learn about this age-old art form | Raft the Ayung River, keeping an eye out for bright kingfishers and giant teak trees.
An award-winning resort set amid beautiful hillside gardens and perched above two river valleys. (pool, spa)
Discover a culture steeped in Hindu spirituality and colorful mythology | Bike to the sacred Pura Pucak Sari temple and meet the resident priest | Pedal up and around Mount Batur on your way to the quieter northern side of Bali | Dine alfresco to a soundtrack of live soothing rindik (bamboo xylophone).
Overlooking the Bali Sea, relax in simple yet comfortable villas with traditional architecture and private gardens. (pool, spa)
Spin along Bali's arid northeast coast, passing lava flows from Mount Agung's 1963 eruption | Snorkel amid the wreckage of the torpedoed Liberty, a haven for some 400 species of colorful reef fish | Return to shore on our brightly painted jukung boats and pedal back to the hotel for an afternoon of leisure | Walk on the tranquil beach or relax beside the infinity pool.
Exuding peacefulness, this secluded retreat features views stretching from mountain peaks to the black-sand beaches of the Bali Sea. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa)
Meet locals in their art studios | Visit Tenganan, known for its beautiful double-ikat textiles | Prepare classic mie goreng in a private cooking class | Impressive mountains give way to a sandy beach on a descent past scenic rice terraces | Bike to a nearby community, passing small family compounds and the local school, where Balinese children do their morning exercises.
Reminiscent of traditional Balinese villages, a stylish seaside hideaway with palm-studded grounds. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
This trip with Premiere Hotels includes one night at Puri Bagus Lovina, a Casual Hotel. The guest rooms are comfortable, but simpler than those of our other Balinese hotels. We've chosen this property because of its prime location on our biking route and its local charm.
Bali is a beautiful destination with an enriching and unique culture, but it's also part of a rapidly developing country and travel here can be challenging.
Navigating Bali's crowded narrow city streets and rural roads on a bicycle is both a physical and cultural adventure that requires quick thinking, patience and humor (watch out for that scooter!). Though the route distances may be relatively short, the terrain, road conditions, heat and humidity, and the need to be alert can make activity more physically demanding.
While our trip emphasizes the idyllic Balinese serenity, it's impossible to fully avoid the bustling intersections and modern pace found here, complete with trucks, construction and litter—all serving as reminders that Bali is more than a peaceful Shangri-La; it's also a complex culture and economically evolving society.