French Basque Country Walking & Hiking Tour
Pyrenees Mountain Villages & Atlantic Beaches
A region infused with unique charms, exuberant folklore and postcard-perfect scenery at every turn. Hiking trails along the dazzling Atlantic coast, through lush rolling pastures and into the regal Pyrenees mountains. A part of France and Spain unlike any other, with a history, culture and language all its own. From the peak of La Rhune to the beaches of Biarritz and every enchanting village in between, come fall in love with Basque Country.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
France & Spain
Start Biarritz / End St-Jean-de-Luz or Biarritz
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Visit the Basque Country less traveled, where hidden mountain villages give way to lively beach towns and coastal castles
- Trek through the majestic French and Spanish Pyrenees on the incredible Grande Randonnée or Gran Recorrido trail network
- Summit emerald-hued La Rhune mountain, rising from the border, for magnificent views over both France and Spain
- Taste organic farm-to-table cuisine at charming Basque country farms, share delicious tapas and unwind at enchanting hotels
6 Days Casual Hotels
Beautiful Biarritz, once a favorite resort town of the European aristocracy, is the kick-off point for your hiking adventure through Basque Country | Add spice to the journey right from the get-go with lunch in picturesque Espelette, home to the eponymous pepper, a treasured Basque chili | Follow trails through green rolling hills and sheep-dotted pastures visiting traditional villages along the way | Hike in the foothills of the Atlantic Pyrenees and across the border to Spain | Visit the tiny hamlet of Zugarramurdi and discover its spellbinding history and caves.
Sweet simplicity and classic Basque Country charm can be found at this welcoming hotel, a one-time family home set in the heart of a traditional village. (pool)
Travel on foot from our first charming Basque Country hotel to the next | Start in Ainhoa, a Plus Beaux (Most Beautiful) Villages of France member | Enjoy a delicious meal with local friends | Gradual climbs and descents mark the route to enchanting Sare, where red-shuttered stone houses stand in contrast to the surrounding emerald green peaks.
Built in the 16th century in a village center surrounded by mountains, this captivating and quintessentially Basque hotel feels straight out of a fairy tale.
Climb up to the top of majestic La Rhune, the starting point of the Pyrenees chain | Part French, part Spanish, this national heritage site is home to pottok horses | Hike well-maintained mountain trails speckled with wildflowers and peat bogs | Drink in the views of a bucolic landscape stretching all the way to Atlantic beaches and beyond | Savor a farm-fresh lunch in a mountain hut | Venture to the coast and walk a hand-picked section of the Camino de Santiago (Way of Saint James) | Get a different taste of Spain over a lively tapas lunch | Complete the adventure with a boat ride and coastal walk to St-Jean-de-Luz, an easygoing beach town with a cheery mix of French and Spanish influences.
This clifftop property overlooks the deep-blue Atlantic and offers plenty of sunny lounge spaces throughout its manicured gardens to take in the view. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-5
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage