Namibia & Zimbabwe Active Safari
Sossusvlei Dunes to Victoria Falls
Venture to a land of stunning contrasts. Where soaring charter flights lead to down-to-earth hikes, from flame-colored dunes to mist-shrouded Victoria Falls. Where mighty elephants roam and springbok leap. Where luxurious retreats nestle amid raw nature. And impossibly blue skies turn into a blanket of stars. Where? Namibia and Zimbabwe.
THIS ITINERARY: 9 days, 8 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Namibia & Zimbabwe
Start Windhoek / End Victoria Falls
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike up into Namibia's iconic flame-colored Sossusvlei Dunes, some of the highest—and most beautiful—on the planet
- Relax and recharge at luxurious lodges set in private game reserves, seamlessly linked by exclusive flights
- Discover Zimbabwe's famous Victoria Falls, a breathtaking explosion of thunder and spray
- Safari among rare desert-dwelling elephants, black rhinos and other extraordinary wildlife
9 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike the dramatic Namib Desert, with its vivid pink-to-orange dunes | Spot desert wildlife like oryx, springbok and ostrich | Marvel at petrified dunes | Our local San Bushman guide sheds light on the desert's flora and fauna | Join an astronomer for an extraordinary night of stargazing.
A tranquil oasis surrounded by sand dunes and mountains in the Namib Desert. (pool, spa)
Climb the bright red-orange Sossusvlei Dunes—among the highest in the world—for sweeping desert views | Gain insight into traditional and contemporary culture on a guided twilight walk | Sip refreshing sundowners and enjoy dinner alfresco | Discover remote Damaraland, a rugged region of arid plains, granite outcrops and deep gorges.
Sensational views abound at this desert safari camp, nestled amid massive sandstone boulders. (pool)
In Etosha National Park, a scenic game drive offers the chance to see lion, leopard, elephant and rhinoceros | Relish a magical bush dinner under the stars.
View abundant wildlife directly from the deck of this opulent game lodge, designed to resemble a classic Moorish fort. (pool, spa)
Behold Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls, known locally as Mosi-oa-Tunya, or Smoke That Thunders | On a guided hike, watch the mighty Zambezi River surge down a zigzagging chasm | Savor an unforgettable dinner on the Zambezi riverbank | Cruise a sprawling stretch of the Zambezi, watching for hippos, crocodiles and birdlife | Get to know the Zimbabwean bush on a walking safari through Matetsi Private Game Reserve | Relax under mangosteen trees at our magnificent river abode.
This luxurious retreat is set on an exclusive shaded stretch of the Zambezi River above Victoria Falls. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rocky, sandy desert trails with some fairly steep sand dunes in Namibia, as well as bush trails with rough dirt and exposed roots in Zimbabwe.
- All breakfasts, 9 lunches, 8 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive hotels and activities this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Westair Aviation aboard turboprop planes that seat approximately 10 passengers.
Matetsi River Lodge is a Premiere Hotel. While it offers outstanding service and amenities, please note that it is not equipped with air-conditioning and guest rooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.