Vermont Bike Tour - Active Weekend Getaway
Historic Stowe & the Green Mountains
Lively New England towns. Winding country roads. Craft breweries, maple syrup, local cheese and long evenings spent enjoying farm-to-table dinners. All against the backdrop of Vermont’s legendary fall colors. Meet friendly locals and revel in the bounty of this fertile country. Biking your way through Vermont you’ll see just how vibrant it is—from the colors to the culture.
THIS ITINERARY: 3 days, 2 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike through small-town Vermont, with classic New England scenery of red barns, forested mountains, rustic farmland and river valleys
- Experience hillsides bursting with the reds, oranges and yellows of Stowe’s fall colors—one of the country’s top foliage viewing destinations
- Enjoy incredible gourmet meals and taste a plethora of local delights—fresh cheeses, apple cider, taffy and lattes infused with maple syrup
- Explore the quintessential New England village of Stowe, walking from our charming inn to unique local boutiques, country stores and galleries
3 Days Premiere Hotels
Day 1 Be swept away by Vermont’s beauty starting in the small town of Richmond for a ride along the winding Winooski River | Bike through delightful Waterbury, passing verdant mountains, maple sugar shacks and quaint country houses | See an explosion of fall colors lighting up the landscape as you pedal along quiet country roads and weave through a landscape of wooded mountains, charming rural neighborhoods and the rippling West Branch River | Discover fantastic views of the Green Mountains | Feel free to stop for treats at the Ben & Jerry’s factory or Cold Hollow Cider Mill | In the heart of Stowe Village, relax or take a swim at our cozy inn, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Day 2 Your incredible day of cycling begins with a pleasant ride through the Green Mountain foothills and river valleys | Follow rolling country roads with a bucolic backdrop of family-owned farms and forest-blanketed hills | Pop into a local brewery for a taste of Vermont's craft beer scene | Picnic along the shoreline of pristine Lake Elmore | Peruse Stowe’s local shops, cideries and coffee shops.
Day 3 On the last day of your Vermont fall adventure, hop on your bike for a spin on Stowe’s bike path | Continue on for a heart-pumping climb up Smuggler's Notch—the steep terrain between Spruce Peak to the east and Mount Mansfield to the west—named for the notorious smugglers who used the area's caves and thick forest cover to transport illegal goods across the Canadian border.
Built as a private residence in 1833 and now tastefully restored, this historic inn was once a stagecoach stop. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
SMALL GROUP? TRY RENDEZVOUS | An extra leader and van for even more flexibility | Call us to book your Rendezvous.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: Vermont's landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys, and the continuously rolling terrain can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage