Santa Fe & Taos Bike Tour
New Mexico's Land of Enchantment
Ride off the beaten track in New Mexico, the land that so inspired Georgia O'Keeffe. Where high-desert beauty awaits. And routes perfect for biking. Like the back roads of Taos past traditional adobe homes and sagebrush. Or the high road to Chimayó. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains and down Gallery Row in Santa Fe. A ride, a destination and a vastness you won't easily forget.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End Santa Fe
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike breathtaking high-desert mesa landscapes filled with juniper trees, sagebrush and iconic adobe homes
- Explore artsy Santa Fe and authentic Taos, where amazing art and stunning scenery compete for attention
- Delight in watching the sun set from your private terrace at Santa Fe's Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado
- Discover a multicultural weave of Spanish, Mexican, Anglo and indigenous traditions and cuisines
5 Days Premiere Hotels
In Taos, bike along quiet roads where coyote fences and adobe homes provide the foreground to high-desert mesas and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains | Enjoy a picnic lunch of Southwest-inspired specialties | Visit the iconic 18th-century San Francisco de Asis Mission Church, whose distinct style inspired artworks by Georgia O’Keeffe and Ansel Adams | Explore the Taos Historic District on foot | Experience a fascinating mix of multicultural traditions | Bike into Arroyo Seco, a small artist community | If you like, tackle a challenging climb to Taos Ski Valley, where you'll find towering canyon walls, stands of aspen trees and the beautiful Rio Hondo.
With a warm inviting style inspired by American Indian and global cultures, this elegant haven is nestled in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, just outside of Taos. (spa)
Ride through the mesas and copper-colored hills of the High Road desert to the tiny village of Chimayó, established in 1680 | Spice-lovers won't want to miss a tasting of Chimayó's renowned heirloom chile peppers! | On your way to Santa Fe, stop by Santuario de Chimayó, a 19th-century adobe church and one of the most revered places in the Southwest | Discover the old-world charm of Canyon Road, the picturesque heart of Santa Fe’s thriving art scene | Get to know the compelling history and treasured architecture of this cultural hotspot | Pedal through the foothills of Santa Fe or set off on a relaxing nature hike from the hotel | Enjoy a leisurely bike ride through Santa Fe’s old neighborhoods, past cafés, galleries and boutiques—feel free to stop in!
Surrounded by the serene high-desert landscape overlooking the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, this elegant resort combines luxurious amenities with distinct Southwestern style. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
While Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, that's not always possible in New Mexico and some options on this trip follow more heavily trafficked roads. Of course, you're always welcome to jump in the shuttle to avoid the busier stretches.