MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Netherlands & Belgium Family Bike Tour - Teens & Kids
Windmills & Canals from Amsterdam to Bruges
You'll find it makes perfect sense, the Dutch and Belgian passion for cycling. You'll find it in the flat-as-a-pannekoek landscape, amid flowers and silent canals. In storybook villages. You'll even find it post-ride, in fine Belgian Lambic or delectable chocolates. We invite your family to bike with us. And find it all out together.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Netherlands & Belgium
Start Amsterdam / End Bruges
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Pedal past windmills, canals, pitch-roofed farmhouses and vast skies—scenery straight out of a picture book
- Witness a welcoming bike culture of epic proportions fueled by some of the world's best bier and chocolate
- Ride along gorgeous flat terrain and easygoing seaside routes perfect for a range of abilities
- Explore Amsterdam and Bruges, two captivating gateway cities in two unique countries
6 Days Premiere Hotels
On your way to Holland's charming coast, pedal past emerald-green fields and classic windmills—timeless scenery straight out of a Dutch masterpiece | A spin past sand dunes and along seaside lanes leads the way to The Hague | The younger set hits the beach with a Kids Adventure Leader for games in the sand | Next door to the Palace Noordeinde, royal treatment awaits at our luxurious hotel.
Once home to a bank, this beautiful art deco building has been transformed into a luxurious urban retreat with sophisticated design and superb access to the city's historic center.
As you bike through polders from Gouda, keep an eye out for birds, swans and cows | Taste a wedge of distinctive Gouda cheese—or perhaps a slice of appeltaart? | Visit the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk, known for its 19 windmills once used to drain the surrounding floodplain | Youngsters join up with a Trip Leader for a fun afternoon adventure | Grown-ups ride to Utrecht, a vibrant university town and one of the Netherlands' oldest cities | Relax or play at our Dutch retreat, where knights and emperors used to roam.
This centrally located and elegant property along the Utrecht canal was originally built in the 14th-century as a monastery and has housed nobles throughout the centuries. (spa)
Cycle over the border into Belgium | It's a scenic ride to romantic Bruges—nearly car-free and ideal for exploring on foot | Discover the medieval city's nooks and crannies, narrow cobblestone streets, steep-gabled brick houses, lofty spires and meandering canals | Kids are treated to a chocolate-making workshop at the Chocolate Museum | Visit the commemorative World War I monuments at Flanders Fields | Take a final spin through quiet Belgian neighborhoods.
Located in the historic heart of Bruges and alongside one of the city's famed canals, this family-friendly boutique hotel is sure to enchant.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The minimum age required for kids to ride their own bike on this trip is 7+
Note: On this Family Trip, the routes follow bike paths on mostly level terrain. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary and mileage is moderate to enable you to spend more time exploring on your own.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The Dutch and Belgians are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing network of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country. Many of the paths we utilize on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, linking quaint villages and big cities alike. Navigating these intricate bike routes requires more attention to the GPS and directions than you might expect. Be prepared to make more stops than you usually would to ensure you're on the right track, all the while experiencing the occasional rush of riding among many locals as they commute and run errands by bike.