The Hiring & Training Process
Step 1: The Application
- Fill in our simple online form it takes about 10 minutes.
The application process is the same for each position (Trip Leader or Trip Prep Specialist).
- Respond to questions via video.
If selected to advance, we'll invite you to complete a brief video introduction. This will help us get to know you better than bullets on a resume. Yes, one-way conversations with web-cams are awkward, but there's no need to worry about making mistakes. Sometimes it's those candid moments that win us over!
- Upload your driving record.
You can do this any time after your application has been submitted. We know obtaining your driving record can be time consuming and we don't want it to hold up your application review. Just be sure to upload it before attending a Hiring Event, if invited.
Step 2: The Interview
- If the hiring team chooses to move your application forward, we'll schedule a 15-minute live video interview with you. We'll confirm your availability during our peak weeks (especially in June and September) and ask a few additional questions to help us get to know you better. Our interviews are lighthearted and we will be cheering for you!
Step 3: The Hiring Event
- If you progress past the interview stage, you'll be invited to one of our Hiring Events, a daylong group interview when you interact with other fun and engaging prospective candidates and Backroads staff in a variety of exercises that involve problem solving, teamwork, bike mechanics and public speaking. This is the final step in the Backroads hiring process; it's casual but challenging and often one of the most memorable days in the career of a Backroads leader. Attending an event does not guarantee a work offer, however we typically offer employment to 40-50% of those who attend. In addition to Trip Leaders, we also look for Trip Prep Specialists during our Hiring Events. Sometimes, if we think it's a better fit, we'll offer a role that is different than what you applied for, with the opportunity to transition in future seasons. Please note: The cost of travel to Hiring Events is paid by the applicant.
The Backroads Leadership Training Program
- If you’re hired at the Hiring Event, you’ll be invited to the Backroads Leadership Training Program in one of our hubs in Salt Lake City, Canmore or Pernes-les-Fontaines. Graduation from the Backroads Leadership Training Program is required before entering the field. The training is two weeks for new Trip Leaders and one week for new Trip Prep Specialists, and focuses on essential skills required to be successful at Backroads: guest service, leadership, problem solving, bike mechanics, public speaking, food preparation, driving, trailer maneuvering, internal systems, etc. If any of these are not necessarily your strengths, don't let that keep you from applying. We'll give you all the training you need to be successful.
- Training also includes sessions on what it means to be the face of Backroads in the eyes of our guests around the world. It's a powerful time for personal and professional growth. We're regularly contacted by universities and businesses that are interested in the philosophy and methods behind our unique and extremely successful approach. Many tell us that the friendships they make with their new colleagues during this training process become some of the best friends they've ever had.
Please note: The cost of travel to the Backroads Leadership Training Program is paid by you; however, all further work-related travel is paid by Backroads, including flights to all the various regions of the world where you may be scheduled to work. During this training program, housing will be provided for you and you'll be compensated for your time.