Backroads Media Center: 2023 Fact Sheet
Backroads, an active travel company, offers more than 4,600 scheduled departures in 2023, including Biking, Multi-Adventure, Walking & Hiking, Family, Dolce Tempo and Private trips. More than half of Backroads guests have traveled with us before or were referred by a friend. Founded by Tom Hale in 1979, Backroads began as a small regional bike touring company, offering trips in the western United States and the Canadian Rockies and has grown to be the leading active travel company, with the most destinations, itineraries and annual departures among active and adventure travel companies.
Backroads offers 488 itineraries for all ages and abilities in 55 countries and territories around the world. Backroads vacations are fully supported with multiple leaders and vans that serve as mobile refreshment and bike repair centers, and that also provide lifts to guests who want a break or are ready to call it a day. A trailer carries all luggage and gear, leaving travelers free to explore under their own power, light in load and spirit. Guests on Premiere Hotel trips stay at luxurious five-star hotels and dine on award-winning cuisine. Backroads Casual Hotel trips feature comfortable accommodations and meals at family-run eateries. Our Ocean & River Cruise trips let you explore multiple regions actively in combination with small luxury ships.
Backroads also offers exclusive departures for families—with dedicated itineraries for three distinct age groups—and private groups.
Over 100 destinations worldwide, including 6 continents, 55 countries and territories, 5 Canadian provinces and 23 US states.
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
- Latin America: Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba
- Asia, the Pacific & the Middle East: Cambodia, Israel, Japan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam
- United States & Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wyoming
- Europe: Austria, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Montenegro, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
- Antarctica & Latin America: Antarctica, Argentina, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Peru
- Africa, Asia & the Pacific: Bhutan, Botswana, India, Indonesia (Bali), New Zealand, South Africa, Tahiti, Tanzania, Thailand
- United States & Canada: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Montana, Quebec, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Walking & Hiking Tours
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, Wales
- Latin America: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru
- Africa, Asia, the Pacific & the Middle East: Bhutan, Botswana, Cambodia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Oman, Vietnam, Zambia
- United States & Canada: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Maine, Montana, Newfoundland, New Mexico, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Oregon, Quebec, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wyoming
Ocean & River Cruise Tours
- Europe: Bordeaux, Danube, Dutch & Belgian Waterways, Iceland, Portugal’s Douro River, Rhine, Seine, Venice to Croatia
- Antarctica & Latin America: Antarctica, Chile Patagonia, Galápagos
- Asia & the Pacific: Tahiti
We've always believed that our blend of special destinations, activities and cultural connections is the better way to see the world. But what really sets us apart is our unwavering attention to quality, and most importantly, our superlative leaders, easily the best in the world of active travel. Check out the Backroads Quality Guide and see what you can expect from us.
For More Information, please contact:
- Liz Einbinder
- Backroads, 801 Cedar Street, Berkeley, CA 94710