Backroads Media Center: 2019 Fact Sheet
Backroads, an active travel company, offers more than 4,200 scheduled departures in 2019, including Biking, Multi-Adventure, Walking & Hiking, Family and Private trips. Seventy-five percent of Backroads guests have traveled with Backroads before or were referred by a friend. Founded by Tom Hale in 1979, Backroads began as a small regional bike touring company, offering trips in the western United States and the Canadian Rockies and has grown to be the leading active travel company, with the most destinations, itineraries and annual departures among active and adventure travel companies.
Backroads offers 427 itineraries for all ages and abilities in 64 countries and territories around the world. Backroads vacations are fully supported with three leaders and two vans that serve as mobile refreshment and bike repair centers, and offer lifts to guests who'd like a rest. A trailer carries all luggage and gear, leaving travelers free to explore under their own power, light in load and spirit. Guests on Premiere Hotel trips stay at luxurious five-star hotels and dine on award-winning cuisine. Backroads Casual Hotel trips feature comfortable accommodations and meals at family-run eateries. Our Ocean & River Cruise trips let you explore multiple regions actively in combination with small luxury ships.
Backroads offers exclusive departures for families and private groups.
Over 102 destinations worldwide, including 6 continents, 64 countries and territories, 4 Canadian provinces and 20 US states.
- Europe & the Mediterranean: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Bermuda, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba
- Asia & the Pacific: Bali, Cambodia, Japan, Laos, Myanmar, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam
- United States & Canada: Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Oregon, Quebec, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Washington
- Europe & the Mediterranean: Croatia, France, Iceland, Italy, Montenegro, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Antarctica, Argentina, Brazil, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis
- Africa, Asia & the Pacific: Bhutan, Botswana, India, New Zealand, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- United States & Canada: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Montana, Quebec, South Carolina, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Walking & Hiking Tours
- Europe & the Mediterranean: Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Wales
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru
- Asia & the Pacific: Africa, Bhutan, Cambodia, Japan, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Vietnam, Zimbabwe
- United States & Canada: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wyoming
Ocean & River Cruise Tours
- Europe & the Mediterranean: Baltic Sea, Venice to Croatia, Iceland, Portugal’s Douro River
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Antarctica, Galápagos
- Asia & the Pacific: New Zealand, Japan
We've always believed that our blend of special destinations, activities and cultural connections is the better way to see the world. But what really sets us apart is our unwavering attention to quality, and most importantly, our superlative leaders, easily the best in the world of active travel. Check out the Backroads Quality Guide and see what you can expect from us.
For More Information, please contact:
- Liz Einbinder
- Backroads, 801 Cedar Street, Berkeley, CA 94710